Dared MP5 + Zhaolu 1.3 + HD600 = Soundstage in my head
Jan 25, 2007 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jimmysilvers

100+ Head-Fier
Warning random head-fi zen like state related post.

I just today received my Dared MP5 which I purchased from ak622, it was a bit of an impulse purchase, but I am so glad I did.
When I got it this morning, I just quickly tested using the onboard usb dac to play mp3s from my ibook. I was very impressed, it was the best I think I have ever heard mp3s.

Anyway this evening, I though I would test the MP5 just as headphone amp by connecting it to my Zhaolu Dac (1.3 with DY2000 op-amp). I was blown away by the soundstage.
I have also the upgraded headphone amp on my Zhaolu and doing an a/b test between the Zhaolu and the Dared, it is like night and day. They are both detailed, but the Dared is a lot more 3D in sound. It's like going from a normal book to a pop-up book.
I suddenly seem to have a soundstage between my HD600s and my ears, with the music having layers.

I was trying to work whilst listening to music as background, but this combo won't let you, it keeps saying hey listen to this and then treats you to parts of songs you never realised existed on the cd. I nearly pooped my pants listening to Nick Cave and The Bad seeds, on one of the tracks his voiced is echoed in the background, I thought someone was standing behind me.

I must confess with certain tracks the HD600s are a little tiring with the Dared, but I am looking to get AGK 701s/601s which I understand are better suited to this amp.

I am also going to get a Rega Planet in the near future. I can't wait to try the Dared with speakers.

Well I am one happy chappy, thanks again ak622 and head-fi
orphsmile.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 3
Interesting comments - I really do think the soundstage/imaging of the MP5 is one of its more unique characteristics. I also understand how it can sound tiring - even with the HD600, which is surprising, given how non-aggressive the HD600 is.

What exactly do you find tiring about the HD600+Dared? If it's for the same reasons I found the Dared tiring, I'm not altogether convinced the K 701 will do much better.

Best regards,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back