Dare to leave your amp on 24/7?
Jun 24, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #16 of 22
I´m not familiar with Dynahi amps. But judging from your description I wouldn´t leave any device turned on continously that reaches 70 C. I would fear that the circuit boards and electronic parts would age too fast.
I decided to leave my headamp on 24/7 but its all solid state and its warming is barely noticeable.

Jun 24, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #17 of 22
I´m not familiar with Dynahi amps. But judging from your description I wouldn´t leave any device turned on continously that reaches 70 C. I would fear that the circuit boards and electronic parts would age too fast.
I decided to leave my headamp on 24/7 but its all solid state and its warming is barely noticeable.

Jun 24, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

if it's playing music 24 hours, your going to obviously be straining a lot on it.

Actually, that would mean LESS strain on the components. Leaving an A class amp on for a long period without any input isn't really smart in the long run: ALL the electricity it uses is converted to heat, and the amp components may not like that extra heat. If you DO have an input, at least some of the energy (10%) is drawn from it in another manner.
In the end it all boils down to design: an amp that is really slow in heating up should include a heater element (some of the tube amps do), or it should be constructed to run 24x7. An amp that's left on for 24x7 should have a bit of extra cooling capacity to counter the increased amount of watts it has to dispose of.

Quote:

Aren't some parts inside only good for a certain amount of hours?

Of course, all components have their calculated lifespan. But they also have a calculated amount of on/off cycles. It depends on the components to decide what to do.

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I don't leave my amp on when not in use. My room gets quite warm during the day and it' not a good idea to me to leave my amp running in such warm conditions.

I suppose that's one advantage of living in a place where it rains a lot!! I leave everything on and I'm grateful for any warmth.
tongue.gif

Actually, equipment going really hot and then cooling down must take its toll on how long the equipment can go on for. Then again, at permanently hot temperatures, maybe that takes its toll as well?

Ian

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #21 of 22
My amp is battery-powered, so no I don't leave it on!
wink.gif

Excessive heat says inefficiency to me? That heat is energy not being used properly.

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #22 of 22
I don't leave either of my hybrid headphone and power amp on 24/7. The tubes are easily replacable for me (using the basic EH tubes). The circuit on my power amp is design to protect the triode (also EH tube) from on/off stress. Anyway I do leave it for a few hours at most or over 10 hours when I'm burning in my new components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back