Dare to leave your amp on 24/7?
Jun 23, 2006 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
Oh my lovely Dynahi, sounds magical when its heated up
smily_headphones1.gif
When I leave it on over say 3 hours..the case almost become too hot to the touch..not quite finger burning...probably around 70C?

SHOULD I LEAVE IT ON 24/7...OR chicken out and turn off everyday (I don't like doing that for component stress).

Here is a getto idea, I am blowing a small fan on low speed and I think the case temp is down to about 40-45C..but it has alittle noise..

what to do what to do ......
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 22
I'd turn it off, if only for saving electricity.

Jun 23, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 22
i leave my dynahi on all the time... without issue... when i get a 4 ch volume control and power up the other half i plan on using a 12v papst or sunon fan running at ~7v so that its near silent but pushes just enough air to keep everything happy

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
i leave my dynahi on all the time... without issue... when i get a 4 ch volume control and power up the other half i plan on using a 12v papst or sunon fan running at ~7v so that its near silent but pushes just enough air to keep everything happy

lol..with no fan? what's your case temp?

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
I'd turn it off, if only for saving electricity.

oh..you have never heard a Dynahi that's on for over 24 hours
biggrin.gif
...it sounds nothing like a cold one
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
oh..you have never heard a Dynahi that's on for over 24 hours
biggrin.gif
...it sounds nothing like a cold one
biggrin.gif

I have and I still wouldn't leave it on 24/7 the heat stress on the components is far worse than a couple on/off cycles a day.

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
I have and I still wouldn't leave it on 24/7 the heat stress on the components is far worse than a couple on/off cycles a day.

I don't think so my friend
biggrin.gif
more like the other way around ...well unless you are into boiling water temps

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 22
My amp doesn't actually have a power switch, I have to leave it on 24/7.

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 22
You shouldn't cool the amp. If you force the temperature to 40-45 degrees, it'll never reach it's optimum temperature.
Most SS amps reach their optimum temperature reasonably fast. If it really takes that many hours before it sounds right, it has too much cooling capacity. Solution would be to cut down the cooling area. But that will introduce the possibility of dangerous overheating if the amps is used for hours at a time / at high ambient temperatures. So you'd have to add a temperature sensor to turn off the amp if it overheats. Not a solution that's easy to implement for normal users.

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 22
It should hold up very well, as long as it doesn't get too hot. Plus, you don't have the stress of constant heating/cooling cycles.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 22
Amp is on for 24/7.. Output resistors get hot, but hey thats why you have 2w resistors.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Liquid cooling and dry ice
biggrin.gif
. My computer is running 24/7 but I don't think I would leave my amp running for that long. Aren't some parts inside only good for a certain amount of hours?

Dry ice? Are you nuts? Temporary solution, needs a lot of insulation, generally some sort of tube if used with a computer, and overall just a bad idea unless your going for a good clock record
smily_headphones1.gif
On a more serious note, if the amp has an off button / switch, I'de use it, I would think it's there for a reason
smily_headphones1.gif
. If you leave it idling when you sleep and it's not in use, I don't think it could cause any problems, but if it's playing music 24 hours, your going to obviously be straining a lot on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back