Dare I say that these $13.99 headphones sound more open than SR-60s?
Apr 9, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #23 of 28
Sorry guys... totally forgot about this thread.

I did get the KSC-75s... on with the comparison.

KSC-75s general impressions:
-the drivers weren't really sitting the way I wanted on my ears. They weren't really snug like headphones that are mounted on a headband
-took about 1hr or so of listening and tweaking to get the earclips just right

Sound wise:

Highs:
-the KSC-75 has a good amount of detail in the high end, feels fairly transparent and open
-I'd say the HS820 extends a bit further up in frequency than the KSC-75 and his has an extra layer of sparkle up top
-The soundstage of the HS820 is a little better I think
Conclusion: I'd say the KSC-75 gives a more accurate portrayal of the sound but the HS820 is a little more engaging/fun to listen to if you are listen to music with highs

Mids (after burn-in):
-the mids on the HS820 actually became more recessed. This gives the high even more prominence. I think that the mids sound a little recessed maybe slightly "nasal". I find that I need to increase the volume of the music to bump up the mid volume to proper listening levels. At the same time however, the high end really seems to overpower the spectrum.
-mids seem OK on the KSC-75... more detail than PX-100s... seem fairly neutral
Conclusion: Easy, I prefer the KSC-75 mids...

Bass:
-I'd say that the KSC-75 has the slight edge on the HS-820 but it all depends on how the KSC-75 clamps down on your head. I found that with minimal clamping the bass has a lot of midbass punch with extension that was non-existent.
-With the HS820 the extension is approximately the same as the KSC-75. The midbass has a lot of good impact.
Conclusion: Depending on how you can get the KSC-75 to clamp down on your ear will determine the bass. From a physical standpoint the KSC-75 driver will make more bass.

Durability:
-Because the KSC-75 has these open holes on the back of the headphone the drivers are prone to getting hair and other small objects in them. After about 5-6 days of having the KSC-75 I am getting a small buzzing one of the drivers on low bass passages. I don't think they are on the front of the driver but rather on the rear side of the driver which may be tought to take apart.
-The HS820 is fully sealed to foreign matter.

For overall sound balance I'd definately take the KSC-75. I'm really impressed with the driver. The only category I have HS820 beat is that extra bit of sparkle on the top end and wearability (did not have to tweak anything to get a decent fit). After burn-in I'd say the HS820 is still a pretty decent headphone but not as good as the KSC-75. For 13.99US you can't really complain though, can you?

Apr 9, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #24 of 28
Interesting that mids got nasal after some burn in.Thats a first for me since burn in always seemed to improve things.Thanks for your feedback.By the way how long did you burn in your hs820.I found most phones need at least 100 hours before things start to change. thanks Matt

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #25 of 28
I've probably had them for a week or so... probably have about 40-50hrs racked up (40 of those burnin hours are just on my iPod overnight with the headphones under a pillow).

If you are really curious in the headphones you should just pick them up at a local Walmart (I think it's a staple there). If you don't like them you have 30 days to return them (even with the open package).

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #27 of 28
I recently saw the Philips HL150 foldable headphones at target for $10. Anyone willing to buy these and give their impressions? Curious if they even prepare to the street style ones
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Good idea but Walmart doesnt carry them here.Not sure why staples would carry headphones?

Different wal-marts have different cans.

Most newer Philips streetstyles sound close to each other.
Philips is the best copany when it comes to budget headphones. (well, maybe next to KOSS)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back