Dare I call them the best IEM for the price!!!
Oct 16, 2006 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

plywood99

100+ Head-Fier
The UE Super fi 5 pro at Earphone solutions less than $170.00. My opinion but the best deal in IEM's out right now. Although somewhat bulky, I've yet to hear a IEM in their price range that equals or beats them. And with the S&F mod they are truly a bargain.

Giving them a listen for a few days now and nothing compares that I have heard in their price range. Cord is the only complaint I can come up with, some what stiff and in the way...

Ply

Oct 16, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 15
Huh? The super.fi 5 pros? I...

redface.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 15
Can you tell us what other IEMs you listened to for a fair amount of time? And was it recently that you listened to the others?

Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99
The UE Super fi 5 pro at Earphone solutions less than $170.00. My opinion but the best deal in IEM's out right now. Although somewhat bulky, I've yet to hear a IEM in their price range that equals or beats them. And with the S&F mod they are truly a bargain.

Giving them a listen for a few days now and nothing compares that I have heard in their price range. Cord is the only complaint I can come up with, some what stiff and in the way...

Ply

Oct 16, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 15
I'd dare say the iM716 was the best bang-for-buck IEM I ever saw. For $70 on Amazon....
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 15
Or for pure bang-for-the-buck how about the creative EP-630s, which for $30 will get you close to an IEM sound but not to provide such a substantial investment that you can't back out if you don't like the IEM experience.

~shrugs~

But the Super.fi 5 pro's are nice, I agree. I just don't know that I could go back to them after hearing better...

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom.
Can you tell us what other IEMs you listened to for a fair amount of time? And was it recently that you listened to the others?

Sure. Nothing very pricey mind you.

Shure e2c stock and modded.
Jays D-jays
Half a dozen other iems I've bought over the last few months.

My main goal in finding an iem was getting one that sounded close to the ksc-75 and the A-130. The 5 pros fit the bill quite nicely. I picked them up at the Apple store for full retail, $250.00 and thought they were a bargain at that price. The online price is just a steal.

They have full base, but not bloated. A relaxed midrange and very nice highs. Also very detailed and articulate. Was able to pick up things I had not noticed before. Even more detailed than the D-jays. Listening to Breaking Benjamins' "Here we are" I could clearly make out the pick striking the guitar strings. While I had heard it before, with the 5 pros it was like I could see the pick and the guitar, like it was right in front of me.

Sorry for my poor explanation, not up to Duggeh's ability to write feelings into words...

Ply

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 15
That is indeed a great bargain. Superfi 5 pros sound amazing with iPods.

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
I'd dare say the iM716 was the best bang-for-buck IEM I ever saw. For $70 on Amazon....
biggrin.gif

Second that.

I do think E4 and ER4P are better than the super.fi tho.

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 15
I disagree entirely. I have the im716 and was a previous owner of the super-fi 5 pro and much prefer the im716. Not only is the price much better but I prefer the sound as well. I guess it comes down to prefrence but I like my headphones to be warm, incredibly detailed, accurate, and fun. I love listening to songs and picking out instrument I never even knew were in the song! However by no means am I saying the super-fi is not a good phone, but for the price the er4p blows it out of the water in my opinion.

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
I like my headphones to be warm, incredibly detailed, accurate, and fun. I love listening to songs and picking out instrument I never even knew were in the song!

Lol. That is the exact reason I went with the Superfi 5pros...

Ply

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 15
I agree the super.fi 5 pros are great. I've been loving mine for 6mo+.

My previous IEM experiences in order of most recent to past:
Ety ER4-P - great detail, but to me not enough bass
Ety 6 - pretty good, but not a keeper
Apple in ear - sounds like an Applie ibud, but with more bass. Couldn't get the things to stay in my ear.
Sony EX81. The worse sound I have heard in an IEM. Cymbals made my teeth grate.

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
I disagree entirely. I have the im716 and was a previous owner of the super-fi 5 pro and much prefer the im716. Not only is the price much better but I prefer the sound as well. I guess it comes down to prefrence but I like my headphones to be warm, incredibly detailed, accurate, and fun. I love listening to songs and picking out instrument I never even knew were in the song! However by no means am I saying the super-fi is not a good phone, but for the price the er4p blows it out of the water in my opinion.

I'll second vYu and Benton. Even at $110 the iM716s are a steal. And Benton isn't the only person who owned both phones and had this opinion.

FWIW, the iM716 (and likely the ER4) sounds markedly better with polyurethane tips (ie, Comply, or DIY- see thread). It brings up the bass by better isolating the little chamber in your ear that the tiny driver must load than either open-cell PVC foamies, or silicon flanges. The remarkably fast transient response remains just that, but finally has some bootylicious bottom-end.

Add to that a Podectomy and you'll be laughing all the way to the bank at what others are spending for lesser sound.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 15
It's all down to personal tastes, which means that any claim is subjective
wink.gif
I know that I simply won't like the UE sound signature based on what I've read.

If the iM716 do really sound like the ER4P, then they are without a doubt the best bang-for-the-buck IEMs around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back