DAPs with quality DACs
Apr 27, 2008 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
So I was wondering, does this community know of any DAPs (cdp, mp3, whatever) with high quality DACs? I know through Red Wine Audio that the 4th and 5th gen Ipods had one, I'm not sure of the quality of the one in my A2, but are there any others?

I ask this because I am trying to find other sources that I could add a true-line out too, but don't want to waste my time taking a line-out from a crumby DAC.

thanks!

Apr 27, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 6
Sony NWZ-Axxx series(A7xx/A8xx) have excellent DAC from Cirrus Logic. They are one of the top-end DAC manufacturers, with distinct 'natural' sound. Sony DAPs can have a LOD(line-out dock) through the proprietary port. Still, the Sonys have up to 16GB capacity, which can be quite limiting if you want to upload all your lossless library. They don't have FLAC support too, so you should use WAV files instead(reducing the capacity again with around 40%).

Still, if you want ultraportable amped rig, I suggest Sony NWZ-A829 + Headamp Pico + 'phones. That will be pretty miniature dimensions-wise.

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 6
The Bang and Olufsen Beosound 2 sounds fantastic, it carries a 24bit Wolfson Dac (wm8750 i think) , anyway i havent heard better and i have heard a LOT.
I think removing the screen can improve MP3 players, 1g Shuffle is a good example.

You can easily make a good dac sound bad, but you cant make a bad Dac sound good.

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 6
cool. thanks guys. any others?

does anyone know what Cowon uses for their DACs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back