DAPs that can function as USB DAC/AMP units?
Jun 23, 2014 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Amleth

Head-Fier
Are there any portable players out there that also have the option of operating as a mobile DAC/AMP unit? Like, instead of just using their micro USB jack for charging, they can also accept a USB audio signal if present and pass it to their own internal DAC/AMP hardware? Maybe there's a switch on the side to change between the two operation modes, maybe it's automatic, I dunno.

I'd like a portable player that I also have the option of plugging into my phone or tablet and using its quality digital audio conversion and amplification just like it was a cheaper dedicated DAC/AMP unit. Would be nice not to have to own two separate devices to accomplish this. Is there even anything on the market that does this yet? I assume there must be, because it'd be a pretty convenient feature and easy to add, but I haven't heard of anything as yet.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 11
They do? I totally missed that. Will have to look at the X5 more closely next time it's up on "that site". Didn't grab it last time because the reviews here weren't very positive about the UI experience.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 11
Yup, they both do, as you can see here, I don't own it yet, but I soon will; 
I don't know what "that site" is though :frowning2:

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000045041475&MenuID=105026016

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 11
  The FiiO X5 and I believe the X3 both have this function, not sure about other DAP's.

Yup, they both do, as you can see here, I don't own it yet, but I soon will; 
I don't know what "that site" is though :frowning2:

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000045041475&MenuID=105026016

I know the X3 will not function as a DAC for a phone, only for a PC or Mac.. Not too sure about the X5 as a phone DAC either, again it's a PC / Mac only DAC.

Have you tried this and got it to work?

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 11

I know the X3 will not function as a DAC for a phone, only for a PC or Mac.. Not too sure about the X5 as a phone DAC either, again it's a PC / Mac only DAC.

Have you tried this and got it to work?

They do? I totally missed that. Will have to look at the X5 more closely next time it's up on "that site". Didn't grab it last time because the reviews here weren't very positive about the UI experience.

Oh whoops my bad, I didn't read that it was for a phone, I thought it was PC, I'm not sure, sorry for any misunderstandings.

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 11
You don't need a DAP for that application; a portable DAC/amp is what you're looking for. There are many options available, but keep in mind that not all Android tablets and phones can output digital audio out to feed an external DAC. For iPads, you need to either get an "Apple approved" DAC/amp, or deal with a CCK adapter. Fiji E17 and E18 are affordable. Leckerton Audio has several models, more expensive, but worth the extra money.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 11
As noted, the X3 can only be used as a DAC for a notebook or PC. The units seeks to be charged from the usb connection, which is a problem for the i devices. Their E07 unit is reasonably priced and has a USB mode that is compatible with the iphone or ipad using a CCK (Camera connecting kit).

Jame Fiio has indicated that the X3 will never support the low power USB mode. Don't know about the X5. A shame; as the X3 can do 24/192 whereas the E07 can do 24/96 but no higher

I think a powered hub solves the problems with idevices but then you have to power the powered hub....

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 11
You don't need a DAP for that application; a portable DAC/amp is what you're looking for. There are many options available, but keep in mind that not all Android tablets and phones can output digital audio out to feed an external DAC. For iPads, you need to either get an "Apple approved" DAC/amp, or deal with a CCK adapter. Fiji E17 and E18 are affordable. Leckerton Audio has several models, more expensive, but worth the extra money.

I want a DAP for this application, though. Or basically, I want something that is essentially a DAC/AMP unit with a player interface built in. I'd like a single compact box I can carry around for my music needs, but if/when I want to watch a movie on my phone or tablet, have the option of plugging it in and benefiting from it's DAC/AMP section there too. I don't want to use a separate little self-powered box for each use case, as it seems a bit wasteful; it's not like I'll ever be doing both simultaneously.

That might be the problem, though; If you happen to sell little self-powered audio devices, you're unlikely to be a fan of a feature that means a customer only needs to buy just one of them instead of two. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back