DAPs That Can Be Controlled With iPhone
May 3, 2019 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jthew

Head-Fier
Hi All! I'm looking for a DAP that can be controlled with an iPhone (search, select, volume, next, shuffle, etc.). What are my choices (DAP and app)? How well does this work? I actually will want to use this hard wired to my vintage receiver, so i will need a line out. Thanks.

May 5, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 9
The HiBy and Cayin DAPs are supported by the HiBy App.
That works pretty well. You can download the HiBy Music App to use with the files on the iPhone to get a feeling for it.
I am using it with the HiBy R3 as a digital source to my CHORD DAC in the stereo system.

May 5, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 9
Any Android DAP that can sideload apps with a Lineout will do. FiiO M11 would be a great choice as their own app allows for what you described and has lineout function. It's also very feature rich for its price and has one of the most responsive UI among the current selection of DAPs atm.

May 6, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 9
The HiBy and Cayin DAPs are supported by the HiBy App.
That works pretty well. You can download the HiBy Music App to use with the files on the iPhone to get a feeling for it.
I am using it with the HiBy R3 as a digital source to my CHORD DAC in the stereo system.

I will want to use this with a vintage receiver that was pre remote control. If you use the line out to a receiver, can you control the volume with the iPhone and Hiby app?

Does the R3 have a normalizing feature that works when using line out to a home receiver?

May 6, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 9
Any Android DAP that can sideload apps with a Lineout will do. FiiO M11 would be a great choice as their own app allows for what you described and has lineout function. It's also very feature rich for its price and has one of the most responsive UI among the current selection of DAPs atm.

FiiO has an app that will allow you to control their DAPS with an iPhone? What is it called, and which models does it work with?

May 6, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 9
I will want to use this with a vintage receiver that was pre remote control. If you use the line out to a receiver, can you control the volume with the iPhone and Hiby app?

Does the R3 have a normalizing feature that works when using line out to a home receiver?

I tried it - yes, you can control the volume remotely.
I do not think however that the R3 has a normalizing feature.
Anyway, most of the time the normalization at this price level is not bypassing the amplifier, just a fixed preset, so the only benefit I see is to have a "safe" volume preset.

Another feature I use with the R3 is the built in Tidal App.
It's very basic, and can not be remote controlled, but I use it to play my Tidal playlists on the Stereo, which is nice and expands the possibilities with for my system.

SQ is actually quite good for such a small and relatively cheap player.
It does not have the smooth, fluid and detailed presentation of the Chord Mojo, but is clean, detailed and extended.

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 9
You can check out their app here:

https://www.fiio.com/app

I will be wanting to play music that exists on the DAP. Is this app doing so? One of the features is:

2. Plays a wide variety of formats

Supported formats include: DXD, DSD (DSD64/128), WAV, FLAC, APE, ALAC, AIFF, WMA, MP3, OGG, and other formats. Supports up to 384 kHz/64 bit audio. Also supports CUE files.

That makes me think it is playing files that exist on the iPhone. If it was just searching and selecting files that exist on the DAP, the app shouldn't be concerned with the format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back