DAPs and Airline "Security" X-Ray Machines
Oct 28, 2004 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

crimsonadam

Banned
Is it safe to send a MP3 DAP with a headphone amp through the x-ray machine at the airport. It doesn't seem like it would be a good idea, but it also seems like the metal would set off the walk through machine. I would feel like i should be insistant about not having my DAP messed up by putting it on the conveyor belt, but at the same time i don't want to end up in some room in the bowels of the airport or on a chartered flight to Bahrain or Guantanamo Bay.

Oct 28, 2004 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 12
It depends, some scanner are "electronically safe". My laptop, tungsten have gone through quite a few x-ray machine without any problems... But you can always ask the officer before putting them through.

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 12
I've never had a problem with any electronic gear and airport security (well maybe once). but laptops, cd players, minidisc, headphones (I still haven't gotten an amp yet) have all gone through without any problems or dammage.

Once, I was on business and had a modem, wrapped in an anti-static bag full of styrofoam peanuts. It looked "interesting" on their xray monitor, and was very heavily questioned when they pulled it out. they realized what it was and let it go. (didn't want to explain to my boss why his modem was back at DFW and I needed bail money
icon10.gif
)

Seriously, if you're really concerned, use a seperate case for your audio gear, there have been some good threads in this forum about various cases. Give the case to the security guard, and request/insist/demand that it be hand searched due to the delicate electronics inside. They'll be annoyed, but they will comply. If they still give you trouble, stick a small camera in there, and tell them you've got a camera with iso 800 or higher speed film. If I remember right, they xray machines are only safe for ISO400 and lower.

good luck
-Jeff

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 12
An X-Ray is not a magnetic field, there is no damage that it causes to your DAP. Think of it this way, an X-Ray is a frequency of the light spectrum, do you keep your DAP out of direct contact the sun's rays?

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 12
I flew out of O'Hare a few weeks ago and as my backpack went through the scanner, I noticed they shuttled the conveyor back to look at my bag again....then they had three guys look at the monitor discussing the images they saw.

Ultimately, they let it through. I'm sure they were trying to figure out what my iriver and go-vibe amp was...as they are attached back to back in a small carrying case.

Anyways...no problems with the x-ray.

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by needgoodphones
An X-Ray is not a magnetic field, there is no damage that it causes to your DAP. Think of it this way, an X-Ray is a frequency of the light spectrum, do you keep your DAP out of direct contact the sun's rays?

as its a sony, thought it would be a good idea

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 12
The x-ray isn't the problem with computers, hard drives, daps, etc. However depending on the magnetic media used, there could be a problem with the motors used to drive the conveyor belts. That's where you would actually run into an issue, if something is going to go wrong. Admitedly, it's highly unlikely that the magnetic field given off by these would cause a problem, some people prefer to play it on the extremely safe side.

personally I just shove everything through.

good luck
-Jeff

Oct 28, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 12
X-Ray machines today are a lot better than they use to be. I think the older ones spew a ton of bad X-Rays out and the conveyor belts were basically large electro-magnets. Today, I can place my credit cards under the X-Ray machine with no problem. I wouldn't risk doing that 15 years ago.

Also, if you look at the monitoring screens of a modern day X-Ray machine, they look cool with the enhanced computer imaging. They can see through layers of stuff. Before, it was just a black and white picture of blobs and they just saw a simple projection of the x-ray.

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 12
I've had no problems going through Airport Security with my iPod and Go-Vibe. One time, they took my backpack through for a 2nd look, but they never asked to hand-check it.

I was a bit concerned about the Go-Vibe, so I even had a print-out of Norm's web site. I figured it might make security feel a bit better if I could show that it was a "commercially" available amp. However, no one has even made a comment about it so far.

On the other hand, I wouldn't risk trying to take a Mint or other DIY amp through security.

Oct 29, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
On the other hand, I wouldn't risk trying to take a Mint or other DIY amp through security.

I had the same idea. Oddly though, I've flown through Philly, Boston-Logan (with the heavy security after all the breaches) and Norfolk (always heavy security) with a Pimeta, and never been questioned.

Oct 29, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam

It was talked about on here a while back, and someone had their amp taken by airport security. The general thought was that it would be better to build a DIY amp in a hammond case, or something similar. The mint tin just looks a little too hacked together (probably because it is)

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back