DAP with the best SOUND QUALITY for my MS-1 in $250 range
Mar 8, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #16 of 26
I think what everyone is trying to say is that if you choose anyone one of the main DAPs mentioned here you'll get roughly the same sound quality. If there is a difference, it will be more up to personal taste as opposed to an objective difference in sound quality. The fact is, most DAPs are inherently limited in SQ simply because of the size and power requirements, which from the manufacturers side is more important.

Other options are to go with a vintage discman or maybe try the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, which is supposedly a notch better than current DAPs. You could also wait for future offering from Neuros, whom are in the process of designing a "hi-fi" DAP. Theres also the external portable amp route and various modding options too.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #17 of 26
There was an iriver iHP-120 posted on the for sale boards as of last evening for $200. The sound quality is excellent, especially with the Rockbox open-source firmware, which gives you a 5 band parametric EQ, gapless playback, etc. Moreover, the iHP-120 is, to this day, the only DAP with an optical output, so if you ever wanted to scale up to a truly top-notch portable rig, you could get a MicroAmp and MicroDAC to go with it.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
iPod 5G = Superior screen,

HUH??

The screen on the iPod has a native resolution of 320 x 240... Videos do look very nice on the screen but this resolution is a limitation if you want to use the TV out feature though the AV cable accessory or dock. Also when placed side by side against the Zen Vision: M it’s clear that the latter has a far richer colour gamut and contrast. Videos do look good on the iPod, it’s just that they will look better on the Zen. They’ll also last longer on the Zen, which will play back for four hours rather than three on the 60GB iPod and only two on the 30GB player. Additionally, whereas the Zen enables you to password protect particular video files, Apple only lets you password protect the whole player.

On the iPod, it only outputs at native resolution, which is 320 x 240, which won’t look great when blown up. On the Creative, the AV cable, available as an accessory, will output up to 640 x 480, so your content will look a lot better.

The Zen closes the gap on the iPod aesthetically as soon as you turn it on. The screen is the same size at 2.5in diagonally, but the screen on the Zen can resolve 262,144 colours and for once, numbers used in marketing seem to really mean something. Side by side, the difference is palpable. On the Zen, colours look noticeably richer and more intense and the contrast ratio seems higher. When comparing exactly the same content side by side the iPod looked slightly washed out.
------

I took this from trustedreviews.com

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #19 of 26
*cough*buymyihp120*cough*

rolleyes.gif

In all seriousness, though, pretty much any of the choices mentioned above would be fine. I think it comes down more to features, price, size, etc. that would make your decision. I just got an X5 which is excellent. Tons of features, nice size, and solid sound. Drawback is the crappy navigation... the little joystick takes AGES to accelerate to a decent pace with long file lists. The iHP-120/140 also has great features with the added versatility of line-out, optical-out, and Rockbox. Also, the Rockbox firmware makes navigating with the remote and main unit a joy. I actually prefer the iHP's joystick to an iPod now, because not only is it fast, but it's easy to step through single items unlike the scroll wheel. It's quite a bit bigger than the current-generation players, though. As for the iPod 5G and Vision: M, I haven't heard either.

Personally, I would have gone for the Vision: M instead of the X5, except Creative refuses to offer Mac support on any of its players.
mad.gif
The screen on it is very beautiful and, being a Creative product, the sound must be very good too.

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #20 of 26
The best dap out at the moment ( from my research and my point of view , sound quality wise and why not price wise too ) should be the Shuffle , the iMod and the new Kenwood dap
maybe others , but I don't care since I'm quite sure those 3 are yet top sound ; and probably the iMod is the best ( at the moment I've it on order and still not received )

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #21 of 26
Now what is iMod guys ??
Is it some modded iPods ? Do we get it in retail stores or do we need to get it modded from some experts ? If its the former then I can think of it else NO...

Actually guys I had shortlisted Creative Zen Touch 20GB..basically for these reasons:

1. I read some reviews that its got excellent sound and even beats the iPod for sound quality. (I dont know how true it is...you guys have to tell me).

2. I am getting a 20GB player for $185..(which I think is quite cheap, and way below the price of ZVM and its likes)

But I also know about its two main disadvantages which are:

1. Cant load data files without using Creative software...cant be used as an direct USB drive

2. No Line out.

Now I really dont know whether the advantages I have mentioned here are significant enough to compromise on the disadvantages ???
basshead.gif
eek.gif

To tell you the truth, I would have loved to have direct USB drive like feature, thats a great freedom I think.
Also I would miss a line-out if its headphone out isnt that good to connect to an amp (I dont have an amp now but may go for it in a year or two).

What do you say guys, should I stick to Creative Zen or look somewhere else ?
Is it true that Creative Zen touch sounds better than a iPod ?

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
There was an iriver iHP-120 posted on the for sale boards as of last evening for $200. The sound quality is excellent, especially with the Rockbox open-source firmware, which gives you a 5 band parametric EQ, gapless playback, etc. Moreover, the iHP-120 is, to this day, the only DAP with an optical output, so if you ever wanted to scale up to a truly top-notch portable rig, you could get a MicroAmp and MicroDAC to go with it.

After listening to my Grado's out of my H-140 I would also strongly advise obtaining an H-120. With rockbox its great and yes, it does make my Grado's sing (SR-60 and the SR-100).

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLamp
Its out of scope because its $199 just for the mod...
eek.gif

Any views about Creative Zen Touch ?

the 4g ipod photo can be obtained from some apple store at as low as 199$

the imod is 199$

I felt to suggest it because it's more then a while I'm into portable&quality , and didn't know if you yet had an ipod or not .. in any case , if you want a definitive quality audio portable solution on dap , I think this is the way to go .
The ihp-120 to get top audio quality needs a portable dac and amp , and this kills the deal another time .

The Shuffle is a good alternative if you can deal with 1gb and no line out . The SQ is good , and very very good for the price it retails for .
Many say the Shuffle SQ betters the Ipod 5g SQ , which is better and a nice step up from the 4g .
Plugging portable headphones into the little Shuffle and carry around and play music with it it's easy thing to do , in almost all situtations , and the Shuffle drive most of them nicely for being such a tiny gear , and you don't even have to take care of it as it's little , and it will not brake easily .
There is not one negative opinion I've read about the shuffle sound quality . Me myself , I am advicing it for SQ on portable ; don't be fooled by his size .

my 2c , I hope they're helpful to you .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back