DAP with good soundstage
Jun 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KLS

Headphoneus Supremus
I actually didn't believe that a DAP, unlike headphones, would make major difference to SQ. That is not until I get my iPhone, that I realised different DAPs offer different sound signatures.

Currently using Cowon D2, Ipod Nano 2G and iPhone 3G. Some thoughts about them:

Ipod Nano 2G:
Bought this 2 years ago. Believe it or not, to my ears, with my phones, I actually think that this Ipod offers quite a big sounstage, bigger than iPhone. But it sounds muffled sometimes...With certain IEMs and earbuds, like AKG K324P and K12, the bass is enchanced and sounds muddy.

D2:
Bought mine 6 months ago. I like it because it supports FLAC lossless files. I like its EQ function, that really helps to take out bass. But its 'lifeless'. Anyway it sounds better than the Nano in terms of instrument seperation and naturalness.

iPhone 3G:
3 months ago. This is a very clear, transparent DAP. But I am not satisfy with its soundstage. I think it should do better than the Nano but I am totally dissappointed...

I am seeking for advice here for a DAP which could give me a decent soundstage and instrument seperation. I am particularly interested in the Sony X-series, but it is way too expensive.

Any input is deeply appreciated
jecklinsmile.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 4
There are several posts here that offer settings to give you the best of all worlds on the Cowon - all I can suggest is that you keep experimenting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back