DAP with bigest bass?
Mar 23, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Well. You also can't expect much bass from IEMs. Have you tried with an actual set of cans? The bass is much more pronounced. There isn't too much you can do unless you can find a player with decent EQ/SQ. I'd recommend iRiver 120/140. I've read they have the best equalizers of all DAPs. Iaudio is good too.

Well with my um2s plus my iPaq 4150 - if I push up the bass to near max eq - my um2's start shaking in my ears and eyes wobble!!!!
basshead.gif
So no problems with IEMs n bass there.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 22
I'm not sure about your player capacity and headphone requirements, but I'll throw in my 0.02c on this.

I have an iAudio 5 flash player that i switched to from an iPod mini (4gb, with the infamous EQ clipping and bass rolloff issues - even after the my mp3s had their gain lowered) a while back, and i usually pair it with Shure E5's, E3's, PX100's and HD650's. Main musical interests are RnB/Hip Hop, Trance and mainstream pop/rock.
As you can imagine, a major prerequisite for me in choosing my player and headphones besides overall clarity was the level of bass presence when listening to RnB/Hip Hop.

I've found that when pairing these up with my iAudio 5 and playing around with the settings and EQ, the player is able to produce ample low bass with plenty of impact and no distortion at any listenable volume level. Especially when paired with bass-heavier phones like the Shure E5's I find the bass experience very satisfying.

Hope this helps!

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Mach3bass and BBE on the X5 will only hurt sound quality even more when you use them with a good IEM like the UM2. These features are designed to enhance the quality of stock earbuds and cheap consumer phones, not professional-quality stage monitors like the UM2.

Out of all DAPs that I've had or heard, I think iRiver tends to boost the midbass and lower treble on their players slightly in order to give them a punchier sound. However, the H120 hisses far too much to make a good pairing with the UM2 unamped. I think the H10 actually sounds pretty good from what I remember, but I haven't tried it in a long time, much less with high-quality files.

The Kenwood HD20GA7 has terrific bass, deep, texured, controlled, and very strong, but the hiss levels with the UM2 are completely unacceptable. Too bad really, since it would be perfect otherwise.

I think you're SOL. If you want more bass, get a bassier phone. Try using Comply tips on the UM2, or get the Super.fi 5 EB.

have you ever heard the X5?

It doesn't sound like that to me. It sounds good.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #21 of 22
I'm not too find of the Mach3Bass on the X5. To be honest, it's not very effective as even when it's set at 10, it only seems to make things sound fuzzier/bloated. The MZ-S1's bass boost set on 1 did it for me portably. Setting 2 was complete overload, moreso than the X5 could dream of.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploop
have you ever heard the X5?

It doesn't sound like that to me. It sounds good.

Why don't you check my profile for my list of gear before making any assumptions
tongue.gif

I don't talk about gear that I have no familiarity with, and in the rare instances in which I do, I put in a disclaimer. I wish more people would do likewise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back