DAP with AM & FM functions?
Jan 2, 2009 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ghostmusic

100+ Head-Fier
So there are many DAPs with FM capability. But I'm trying to find one with both AM & FM, for my dad. Small form factor is important, since he wants to use it while jogging in the evenings. Are there any? To my knowledge, my bet is that there aren't.

If not, if you can recommend small AM/FM thing-a-majigs one can strap on the biceps, with excellent reception, that'd be nice.

Thanks y'all.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 2
I have a Degen DE1123 and it is one of my favorite audio gadgets.

DE1123 DSP AM FM SHORTWAVE USB MP3 DEGEN POCKET RADIO - eBay (item 130261994916 end time Jan-09-09 14:52:16 PST)

It is not super small but a smaller/lighter form factor than my AM/FM minidisc and one of the few radios that is .5" thick with removable batteries and built-in speaker. I use it in a blackberry bold belt-clip case. It is a little over 100 grams with batteries installed.

It has a primitive MP3 player but sounds about as good as a clip or any top mp3 player. It remembers/resumes where you left off which is great for podcasts even if you change the batteries or change to AM/FM or SW. No change of folders without pressing stop first and there are no names just file numbers like 02(folder 2)- 002(track 2). But for out running or shooting some hoops you don't need them. The important thing are the great reception/selectivity(at least here in NY, IME) and ease of use on the go.

Factoring in the price $60 versus a $229 CCrane CC Witness is is a great deal and it has that Radio Shack Optimus 1988 radio style which is cool. the batteries are smart charged inside the unit or can be taken out. It uses AAA so some can be picked up at the store and it comes with three NiMH rechargeables which is nice to have included.

It has an excellent speaker and pull out FM antenna and a reception strength indicator. The down to the second clock is always displayed and has alarm and sleep timer. The digital volume control can be changed with the unit off which is great if you go from speaker to headphone. You never have to worry about blowing your eardrums out. The mode switch is a switch so you can switch and turn the unit on to radio or record or MP3 modes and it is easy to switch to FM or AM or MP3(with auto play) while running with the tactile feel of a clicking switch.

I feel it does need low sensitivity/harder to drive earphones though since some system noises like switching modes results in some pops that are a bit too loud for my liking esp. with sensitive IEMs. An impedance increasing plug or cable make it very quiet. I think a pair of the Sennheiser sport style(MX/OMX) earphones that are 64ohm would be perfect for it.

I get so much use out of mine. The speaker makes it a great radio to carry around the house and I get great AM reception even in my basement. Out exercising the controls out well laid out and are easy to get used to. It is easy to set the clock and presets and you can go forward and back with the M+/M- memory button; empty/unused presets are ignored so you never press the button and get a blank station it just goes back to the first preset.

It is a really cool old school style gadget just don't expect a Cowon D2 or fancy MP3 player instead of something that gets the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back