DAP w/ Car Audio
Nov 28, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 15
I've always wanted to ask Head-Fiers what their Car Audio set up was. It seems that some of us couldn't stand to listen to a stock set-up. I mean radio....ahhh.....tape.....blahh....CD..hmmm.... ohhh I forgot the speakers suck
rolleyes.gif

I need to find an audiphile solution for my car.
tongue.gif

Edit:
Ohh, I forgot to answer your question. Heres the thing. There is about 4 ways to hook up your DAP, FM broadcaster, Tape deck, FM modulator, Aux-in. Thats in increasing audio quality. Now, some new fangled cars don't even have a tape deck, like mine, so then that isn't an option. FM broadcaster is so bad, people who use white earbuds even say its bad. So, thats not an option. Now FM modulator isn't that great of quality. It sounds like you local FM station. Its pretty much a lash ditch effort. Aux-in is CD quality and sometimes beyond. THis is the preference for anyone for an ear to sound, so basically everyone here.

Instalation:

Both FM modulators and aux-in need some sort of installation unliek the other two options. FM modulators usually take the wire going to your radio antenna and puts it into a little box. You get a nice little switch and you flip it between your antenna and the input such as your DAP. So, its a bit cumbersome and the quality is a bit lacking.

Now, if you can do Aux-in, then your in for a treat. Most head units cannot do it, so you have the choice of buying a new head unit or attaching a makeshift Aux-in. Most cars have a external CD changer input on their headunit. They make a little box that plugs into this port and adds a Aux-input. This sounds just as good as a CD. A couple problems can arise though. If you have a external CD changer in your trunk or glove compartment, you either get rid of that or install a switch (which i haven't seen yet, but heard of). Also, some head units such as Subarus, like me, don't have external ports because its built in. However, don't be fooled by a built in CD changer or external one. Sometimes they have multiple ports. Your best option is to take your head unit out and check what connections it has on the back. So, if you can't do the CD changer, then usually you are doomed to the inferior FM modulator like me.
rolleyes.gif

BY THE WAY IF YOU DIDNT READ THAT THING, I NEED YOUR MAKE AND MODEL!!

Nov 28, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gongos
I have a nice car stereo and am wondering if a DAP would be at least as good as a CD.

Depends which of the 4 ways you hooked up. Tell me what car you have, so we can determine which of the 4 options u can use. Then, we will know the answer. Like my car has an alright radio, but the only way I can connect my iPod is with a FM modulator. So, I don't get the quality I really want.

Nov 28, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 15
My stereo has a pair of aux-in inputs coming out its back so I'd be able to connect it the best way. I'd probably have something like an Iaudio X5 plugged into the aux inputs of my deck playing flac files.

Nov 28, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

My stereo has a pair of aux-in inputs coming out its back so I'd be able to connect it the best way.

Well, if thats the case, then you will get CD quality or better depending on your DAP setting, if its Line-out, and your head unit. Generally, keep your files over 244 AAC, use the line-out and you will get CD quality.

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 15
Here's how it would be hooked up. iaudio headphone out to headphone jack in the dash, which would be wired to the aux inputs on my deck. Not sure if this would make a difference in the SQ when compared to a straight line out from the iaudio. Is there a quality difference between the head-out and line-out on the iaudio?

Nov 28, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Here's how it would be hooked up. iaudio headphone out to headphone jack in the dash, which would be wired to the aux inputs on my deck. Not sure if this would make a difference in the SQ when compared to a straight line out from the iaudio. Is there a quality difference between the head-out and line-out on the iaudio?

of-course... it would be hard to quantify the difference, but the head-out is amped, and that signal is amped again in the head-unit ....

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 15
Yeah I just suggest trying to get a Line-out, other than that you should be good to go. If you want to still use your headphone out just turn the volume to about 40-60%, and you'll be fine.

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 15
my rule of thumb for playing an amped source is to go about 80% of volume on the source... to provide a strong signal but not before introduction of distortion... but thats me

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
my rule of thumb for playing an amped source is to go about 80% of volume on the source... to provide a strong signal but not before introduction of distortion... but thats me

I've noticed a significant increase in my sound quality with my iPod at 60%, but its different for each player. I suggest trying 40-80%, it depends on your head unit of course. So, you never know!

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
Well, if thats the case, then you will get CD quality or better depending on your DAP setting, if its Line-out, and your head unit. Generally, keep your files over 244 AAC, use the line-out and you will get CD quality.

How can he get better than CD quality out of a DAP? Even if he uses a lossless format it would be equal, unless his CD player really sucks.

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
How can he get better than CD quality out of a DAP? Even if he uses a lossless format it would be equal, unless his CD player really sucks.

That is precisely why he could get better quality. His CD player could suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back