Dap Vs smartphone
Sep 22, 2017 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

swesko

500+ Head-Fier
I have been doing a lot of thinking and reading but still not set on what to do next.
I have an s8 as my source as i stream a lot from spotify/tidal and have a 128gb sd card with some flac music on it but i mainly stream. I use my phone with either a mojo or the oppo ha depending on my mood as one is dark while the other is more neutral or brihht. I startedpondering about getting a second device mainly due to music eating a lot of battery. So i started looking at different set ups and still not made my mind up. So turning to the forums to get some advice. Im looking at the pioneer 300r or the lg g6 quad dac. Id be using either one of them as standalone or with the mentioned dacs. Mind you i will be updating my s8 when the s9 or whatever galaxy comes in march.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 12
Go for DAP, I think.

It seems like you want to upgrade the phone to S9 in any cases. So why bother keeping 2 phones.

So separating between music experience and phone usage might be better option for you.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 12
Yes if i upgrade i will have 3 phones...now i need to find a good dap with android and tidal offline. I think the pioneer is the best candidate so far

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 12
You should also consider Ibasso DX200 and FiiO X7ii. I had the first version of the Pioneer dap long time ago and was not impressed. I had to return it because of a faulty jack stick, it was a big problem at that time but maybe it's ok today.

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 12
You should also consider Ibasso DX200 and FiiO X7ii. I had the first version of the Pioneer dap long time ago and was not impressed. I had to return it because of a faulty jack stick, it was a big problem at that time but maybe it's ok today.
Yea i know those are good DAPs but one is expensive and the other one doesnt support the usb audio out :) yes the pooneer had a jack problem now theres a rev b i think

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 12
For me, first and foremost, a DAP must have balanced output (preferably 2.5mm). If it doesn't have that, no sale. Also, with the exception of a couple phones, most have poor audio sections and even worse bluetooth performance. The Onkyo DP-X1a (or Pioneer XDP-300R, virtually the same thing) and A&K AK70 are great DAPs that aren't cripplingly pricey and will serve well for a long time.

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 12
For me, first and foremost, a DAP must have balanced output (preferably 2.5mm). If it doesn't have that, no sale. Also, with the exception of a couple phones, most have poor audio sections and even worse bluetooth performance. The Onkyo DP-X1a (or Pioneer XDP-300R, virtually the same thing) and A&K AK70 are great DAPs that aren't cripplingly pricey and will serve well for a long time.
I ordered the 300r for 400 usd yesterday :) i thought it ticked a lot more boxes than everything else. I was gonna order the lg g7 quad dac but decided i want the DAP experience

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 12
how the SQ could change going from a source MQA capable like the v30 to a device with better DAC and amplifier like fiio Q5 ( still not ready to sell, If I will not go for the v30 I will buy it or something similar, but I wanna compare the lg to something like the fiio: here the stats: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-in-share-the-same-amp-module-with-x7.772186/ )
Remember that I will listen music only from tidal so device MQA ready will play 24bit/192khz while the others will use max 24/96 files
Curious to know the answer.
And plus that, difference of the fiio Q5 ( estimated and if you know some alternative similar that I don't know) to the onkyo or the a&k :)

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 12
Anyone directly compared the v20 or v30 with the AK70 or the DP X1A? Curious if $600 gets much more sound. The 2 micro SD cards would be nice, but a 256gb card is cheaper than a $600 DAP.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Anyone directly compared the v20 or v30 with the AK70 or the DP X1A? Curious if $600 gets much more sound. The 2 micro SD cards would be nice, but a 256gb card is cheaper than a $600 DAP.

AK & DP are better in instrumental separation and you will amaze at how silence of background noise. V30 is bassier than AK70. but Treble of AK70 is clearer and more opened.

I have V30 but I think it is too overrate in head fi. The quality is around ibasso dx80.($300ish range DAP)

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 12
So it is an improvement. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks, man. What about ak70 VS x1a? I tend to EQ my music using poweramp, so clarity is more important to me Than the tonal frequencies when flat. Big Soundstage is important too. Other characteristics less important, but still nice. I see ak70 advantage as acting as dac with a pc and apx HD.

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 12
Which phones would be exception? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back