Dap under 200 and over ear under 200
Oct 15, 2017 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Infinitesimon

New Head-Fier
Hi, i'm very new to the head-fi community. Long time music lover interested in listening to a better quality sound. I've been doing some research and I think I'm pretty set on the cayin m3 with the audiotechnica m50x or the bundled version of the cayin n3 with the in ear en700pro . But I'm also considering the sony NW -A35 and the fiio x3 (3rd gen). I'm primarily concerned about accurate sound reproduction. I'm having trouble finding information about the fiio x3 3rd gen. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations.

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 10
If you like bloated bass then I think you will like the M50X as that is what I heard from them others I’m sure would disagree but that is what I got from them. Don’t know about those players as I have not heard either of them. Just curious how do you define accurate sound?

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, appreciate the tip on the m50x's. From the reviews I've read Of the M50x they supposedly have a balanced sound, i.e. Focusing on the mids and not so much on the bass and higher notes, which is what I am looking for and what I mean when I say accurate sound reproduction . I 'd like to hear the music as close to what the original intent of the recording would have been. I'm surprised you haven't Heard of the cayin N3 it seems to be well regarded amongst hi-fi music enthusiasts as having a very balanced sound with accurate reproduction of lossless files. I'm Curios If You Have heard the M50x First hand as they seem to be widely regarded as having a very balanced sound, Just based on the reviews I've read. Thanks for the input, might you have any recommendations for dap's and or over ear headphones that you like And Or use:) sub 400 both Dap and headphones cause I like music but I don't have much mula.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 10
You might want to avoid Fiio x3iii for the time being, reports are mixed though it is relatively new so not many have commented- good sound quality but slow UI and firmware bugs. Maybe consider the cheaper reputedly more stable 2nd gen version?
ICYMI here's the Head-Fi Thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...out-192khz-32bit.855280/page-36#post-13783881

I haven't used any of those (except Sony, personally partial to Walkmen for their interface design and long battery life), but any of these DAPs should provide you with accurate music reproduction , most likely a decent phone will as well depending on how much power your headphones need.

Assuming this is for portable use, but if it isn't & you don't need isolation, worth pointing out that Sennheiser HD6xx is back on Massdrop for only $200 (keep in mind that will want a powerful source at minimum or external amp).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 10
You might want to avoid Fiio x3iii for the time being, reports are mixed though it is relatively new so not many have commented- good sound quality but slow UI and firmware bugs. Maybe consider the cheaper reputedly more stable 2nd gen version?
ICYMI here's the Head-Fi Thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...out-192khz-32bit.855280/page-36#post-13783881

I haven't used any of those (except Sony, personally partial to Walkmen for their interface design and long battery life), but any of these DAPs should provide you with accurate music reproduction , most likely a decent phone will as well depending on how much power your headphones need.

Assuming this is for portable use, but if it isn't & you don't need isolation, worth pointing out that Sennheiser HD6xx is back on Massdrop for only $200.

Assuming this is for portable use, but if it isn't & you don't need isolation, worth pointing out that Sennheiser HD6xx is back on Massdrop for only $200.

Sweet, Thanks. The Ui on the walkman is what drew me in. That looks like a killer deal, I'll check it out. Headphones would be for portable dap use, would the hd6xx require more amperage than would be provided by a standard dap? I.e. Cayin n3(pretty stuck on that one)

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Sweet, Thanks. The Ui on the walkman is what drew me in. That looks like a killer deal, I'll check it out. Headphones would be for portable dap use, would the hd6xx require more amperage than would be provided by a standard dap? I.e. Cayin n3(pretty stuck on that one)

Yeah in that case the HD6xx aren't suitable since they are open back and let all the noise in- I just mentioned them in case you didn't need portability & just wanted best possible sound quality for money. They might be listenable but not driven to their potential out of these sources (definitely not the Walkman which is very low powered due to battery life).

M50x are very popular choice for portable, though like buke said it really depends on your personal idea of "accurate" (I think they're decent but have only heard them a few times). If you are near a Guitar Center or other pro music store, try calling, sometimes they have these types of headphones on display to try out.

If you haven't seen it yet, for other options check out Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-over-ear-sealed - particularly some of the "retired" headphones that are no longer on the main list are avaialble for good prices- for instance the NAD Viso HP50 and Audio Technica MSR7 (probably too much highs for you) are sometimes under $200 from amazon.

The reviews there will give a fuller idea of the sound & also offer some measurements. It's also a good resource to become more informed about audio in general if you are particularly interested: https://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements-explained

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks, appreciate the tip on the m50x's. From the reviews I've read Of the M50x they supposedly have a balanced sound, i.e. Focusing on the mids and not so much on the bass and higher notes, which is what I am looking for and what I mean when I say accurate sound reproduction . I 'd like to hear the music as close to what the original intent of the recording would have been. I'm surprised you haven't Heard of the cayin N3 it seems to be well regarded amongst hi-fi music enthusiasts as having a very balanced sound with accurate reproduction of lossless files. I'm Curios If You Have heard the M50x First hand as they seem to be widely regarded as having a very balanced sound, Just based on the reviews I've read. Thanks for the input, might you have any recommendations for dap's and or over ear headphones that you like And Or use:) sub 400 both Dap and headphones cause I like music but I don't have much mula.
Yes they have been on my head a few times and always the same to me just too much bloated bass the rest of it is fairly neutral. Did hear a pair with HM5 pads over top of the original pads ( sounds a bit crazy but it did work well) and they were not half bad. These are just my opinions

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks to both buke9 and raketen for your insight. I'm gathering that headphones are more important in determining overall sound quality as opposed to the device itself. I mostly listen to music at home, but I am near trains so some noise isolation is definitely a concern for me. I'll be going to a near by guitar center tomorrow to check out the m50x or any headphones they might have on display. Defiantly going to look into the hm5 pads and thanks for pointing me towards innerfidelity.com. This is all seeming much more subjective and less scientific than I originally thought. I'm currently rocking a cracked iPod nano 6th gen and some urban ears headphones, I think wherever I end up should be better than where I'm currently at.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Science is great but everyone’s ears are different so graphs can get you in the ballpark but you have to hear it to know what you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back