DAP to coax / optical
Jan 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 11
The Pure i20 is defiantly the cheapest solution. It's seems to be looking like a good product so far and it's only $99 strait from their site. I want one myself.
ksc75smile.gif

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61429&Category=

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529956/pure-i-20-ipod-iphone-dock-as-a-dac/45#post_7221873

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 11
Thx! I'll definately take a look at that. Seems like a nice piece of equipment.
But is it only possible to convert to digital via the iPod dock output? Isn't it possible via a normal 3,5mm jack? I ask this because I'm not planning on buying another iPod when this one dies on me, it's my third one in 4 years. So I would like a DAC/converter that is capable to work with other DAPs to be future proof.

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 11
I only understand Optical, so I'll comment on that.

Out of headphone port: 100% impossible. This port outputs an analogue signal, whereas you're trying to get a digital signal out of the iPod.

Out of Line-Out Dock (aka bottom of the iPod): possible but only with specially-licensed equipment. Apple only allows a few companies to draw a digital signal from this port; unless otherwise mentioned, any device that connects here is drawing an analogue, line level signal. This bypasses the iPod's amp.

Are you aware that an optical signal can only be transmitted by an optical cable?

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I only understand Optical, so I'll comment on that.
Out of headphone port: 100% impossible. This port outputs an analogue signal, whereas you're trying to get a digital signal out of the iPod.
 Are you aware that an optical signal can only be transmitted by an optical cable?

He's probably more familiar with laptops, like some Macs - don't they send the optical signal out through the headphone 3.5mm jack?

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 11
ProtegeManiac: Oh that's true, I'd overlooked that. Such ports are exceptions rather than the norm, however; and in the case of iPods, the headphone port is strictly analogue.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #9 of 11
I understand and know all the things that were said above.
I need something that converts the analog signal from a DAP to a digital/optical signal so I can connect it true this device to my Z5500 using a COAX/optical cable.
So, again :)
What could I use for this that isn't to expensive?

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 11
Feb 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
I understand and know all the things that were said above.
I need something that converts the analog signal from a DAP to a digital/optical signal so I can connect it true this device to my Z5500 using a COAX/optical cable.
So, again :)
What could I use for this that isn't to expensive?

And you know that you will not get the great sound quality going from analog to digital as you would using the i:20?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back