DAP that leans towards a "warm" sound?
Feb 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Bucket

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a DAP that leans towards a "warm" sound. (e.g. like Sony)

I actually currently have a DX100 but was looking for something more portable, and I'm not really fussed by video capabilities as I won't really be watching any.

Been browsing all the threads and looked at the Rocoo, Colorfly, Studio V players, etc etc but just from reading, these players all sound like they're more neutral?
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions...

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 70
Hifiman series

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 70
faichiu - Yeah, I'll have a look into Hifiman. Thanks.

DMinor - Actually I just commited myself to a pair of SE5s not too long ago. They're pretty awesome with the DX100 (though I haven't tried the latest two firmware updates)! Just thought I'd try something a bit different with a more portable option, and always liked that warmer sound.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 70
Odderen - From what I've read, Hisound seems to have more of a neutral sound? Never read up on the AMP3 though. Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Loquah - Yeah, I did have a Cowon S9 in my inventory before and did quite liked it. Was just curious if there was something "better" out there.

Lee - Thanks. Definitely looking into the HM-601 Slim.
Other possibility I was looking at was maybe getting a Apex Glacier to go with a (cheaper) mp3 player. Not sure...

Thanks. More reading/thinking & saving to do I guess!

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 70
Hifiman is warm because it rolls off the treble.  You can do that in any player with a good EQ though.  Just cut everything above 12k a bit, and maybe pump up the low bass.

FWIW, its kind of pointless to buy a player for a given sound when a digital device can be programmed to have any possible sound.  

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 70
Quote:
Hifiman is warm because it rolls off the treble.  You can do that in any player with a good EQ though.  Just cut everything above 12k a bit, and maybe pump up the low bass.

FWIW, its kind of pointless to buy a player for a given sound when a digital device can be programmed to have any possible sound.  

I don't agree on this totally. EQ is limited and induces distortion to the sound. I don't think you'll get the exact same sound of a 601 by using another DAP with EQ. It just won't happen. The results will vary.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 70
Quote:
I don't agree on this totally. EQ is limited and induces distortion to the sound. I don't think you'll get the exact same sound of a 601 by using another DAP with EQ. It just won't happen. The results will vary.

If implemented correct, EQ does not introduce distortion.  If implemented badly, it can though.  Hence my point about a "good EQ", that is, one that works correctly :)

And replicating the 601 is easy.  It has a really pronounced roll off that seriously changes the sound.  Compared to the huge effect that has, anything else will be extremely difficult to notice.  

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 70
Quote:

"Limited" in what way? What you have said is meaningless.

And saying that EQ introduces distortion is worse - it's job is to change frequency response, which is what is usually meant by distortion! If you think it introduces some other sort of distortion you'd better be more specific, or people will think you don't know what you are talking about and are reciting "A man down at the pub told me" cliches... Perhaps you mean artefacting? If so, what type of artefacts? 

You do know that everything you have listened to from a recording studio has been EQed, yes? And EQing a speaker set-up for a room using pink noise is one of the first things a professional audio engineer will do?

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 70
Agree. So long as you're not increasing frequencies to unachievable output levels (i.e. increasing levels in the analog stage) then there should be no measurable distortion added.

Not sure I've explained that well... What I mean is that most of the quality players out there are able to adjust levels in the digital signal without inducing any clipping or distortion. If in doubt, you can also use your EQ in a subtractive way only (i.e. reduce frequencies only, don't increase them) which will prevent clipping and distortion in my experience. For example, if you want more bass output, you can use your EQ to reduce the high frequencies while leaving bass frequencies at 0dB. This shouldn't introduce unwanted issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back