DAP support for VBR? Best lossless encoder?
Aug 10, 2007 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

big_lou

Head-Fier
Please help with these 3 questions:

1. Can all DAP's play VBR-encoded tracks?

2. Are all lossless formats 'equally perfect'?

3. What is the best encoder/ripper for lossless?

TIA

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi! I dunnut know if it's the best but I use the program:
Easy CD-DA Extractor under XP.

It rips in every format (I hope) available and the interface is very easy to use. The choice of settings are click-selectable.
It rips CD, it encode to other formtas,it burns music cds to wav or to digital formats.

I rip my cds in Flac level 0 and then I rip or encode from Flac in Ogg level 2 and 6(96k and 192k) depending in which player it will go. I had no problem whatsoever with the program. And as I bought it( not expensive) I have free updates.

I was wondering if it was efficient as I have no comparaison but I believe it must be as it uses the standard format of Flac,Ogg,mp3,wma,etc.

Only bug I found was with long name of track(info): when too long it runs an error on that track, meaning I shorten the filename + info and do it again then it's always OK.

I checked other encoder but I do not have the time to start to learn a whole lot of commands/settings to make them runs, so I decided to stuck with Easy CD-DA Extractor.

regards,

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Yes, the vast majority can.

2. Yes, but some are more perfect than others?

3. EAC (Exact Audio Copy).

Everything you need to know is here.

Nothing else can be said.

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Errr, how can one lossless be more "perfect" than another lossless?

He's being sarcastic
lambda.gif

Perfect is well... perfect. It's like saying something is 'quite silent' or 'very silent', if its silent it makes no noise, so there is no difference between 'quite silent' and 'very silent'.

The only way one lossless format can be better then another is by using a better algorithm to compress the file resulting in a smaller file size. Uncompressed all lossless formats are bit for bit identical.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Yes, the vast majority can.

2. Yes, but some are more perfect than others?

3. EAC (Exact Audio Copy).

Everything you need to know is here.

To elaborate a bit on point 3. I certainly agree in the use of EAC as a ripper but to encode to FLAC you'll need the CODEC which doesn't come with EAC (or at least the last time I downloaded and installed EAC it didn't - about 6 months ago).

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To elaborate a bit on point 3. I certainly agree in the use of EAC as a ripper but to encode to FLAC you'll need the CODEC which doesn't come with EAC (or at least the last time I downloaded and installed EAC it didn't - about 6 months ago).

EAC & FLAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back