DAP suggestions? (sansa clip, Ipod classic, cowon x9)
Jul 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Froststep

New Head-Fier
first I know this is a topic that gets posted time and time again but,
I have recently been hunting around for a decent sounding DAP and some new IEMs, after my ipod classic broke. 
Was wondering if any one had any suggestions. I bought a Cowon x9 but sent it back as i had too many issues with the UI and file transfer mainly. (sound was Awesome though)
Mainly i would like something with good sound quality and a microsd card slot.

I have been looking at the sansa + (is this any good sound wise or should i not bother, at forty quid it sounds like a bargain)

Thanks guys

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 9
Get the Sansa Clip+ and rockbox it. It also has a microSD card slot for more space. The sound is just as good as cowon's players.

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 9
I've been very happy with my Sansa Clip +. 

I added a 32 gig sd card and I rockboxed it. You can use the original os / software if you prefer, even if you rockbox it.

All my files are WAV or FLAC.

Can't beat it for $29.99 IMHO.

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
First I know this is a topic that gets posted time and time again but,
I have recently been hunting around for a decent sounding DAP and some new IEMs, after my ipod classic broke. 
Was wondering if any one had any suggestions. I bought a Cowon x9 but sent it back as i had too many issues with the UI and file transfer mainly. (sound was Awesome though)
Mainly i would like something with good sound quality and a microsd card slot.

I have been looking at the Sansa + (is this any good sound wise or should i not bother, at forty quid it sounds like a bargain)

I used a Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip for awhile, have no problem recommending it.
For best value, buy the cheaper 4GB unit (Clip + or Clip Zip) and a good size micro-SD memory card.
I only switched over to a Sony E465 because my 48 year old eyes need something with a bigger screen.
(the Sony does not have a Micro slot).

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
You have money left over for a solid portable amp like the Fiio E11 or the cMoy v2.03 as well for far less than an iPod.

would you say the sound quality is better than ipod even with eq?

Thanks a lot guys, i would get a cowon j3 however i find when syncing it a lot of files get mixed up and renamed its just pure irritating, is there any sync problems with the sansa? The only real problem i have with the sansa is the poor battery life, i like to travel a little and 15 hours is no where near enough. I know it sounds silly, but is there any way to improve the battery life?
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Lot of discussion in this thread about the Clip+ quality in comparison to other DAPs. Personally, I think it's a great player for the price.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/571987/is-sansa-clip-really-that-good

For travel, get a portable battery power bank such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Flashlight-Thunderbolt-Incredible-Lightning/dp/B005K7192G/

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
would you say the sound quality is better than ipod even with eq?

Thanks a lot guys, i would get a cowon j3 however i find when syncing it a lot of files get mixed up and renamed its just pure irritating, is there any sync problems with the sansa? The only real problem i have with the sansa is the poor battery life, i like to travel a little and 15 hours is no where near enough. I know it sounds silly, but is there any way to improve the battery life?
tongue_smile.gif

Yes, IMHO, the sound quality is superior on the Sansa Clip + over the iPod.

It is my understanding that the battery life improves when you Rockbox the Sansa Clip +, as does the audio quality from a more comprehensive EQ.

I agree that you can add an external battery, just in case, but I've not needed one for the Sansa. The battery on my E11 died before the battery on the Sansa did.

YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back