DAP Suggestions (<$700)
Mar 17, 2021 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

walkman666

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am a long time member and audio enthusiast and am interested in upgrading my DAP. I have had many, mostly in the $500 range, and would like to keep the cost around that budget (and would go to $700).

• I currently have an AK70mk2 and like it. It is now laggy and the screen is tiny, and I am thinking tech has improved to the point where I will see a jump in sound quality with a new model
  • Prefer a DAP that is primarily about quality music; do not need streaming, extra software features, etc.
  • Would rather avoid Android based systems (although I do own Android phone); just want a good easy to use OS without fuss
  • Current usage is at home while exercising
  • I use my beloved JHAudio 13s and 16s with aftermarket 2.5mm or 3.5mm cable connections, and am fine if balanced connection is 4.4mm

Currently leaning towards another AK, the A&Norma SR25. Any other suggestions based on my preferences?

Thanks very much,
- steve

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Thank you, gadus. I will research this DAP. Appreciate the reply.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 8
...does the AK70 have an optical output?

If so, just keep it and get a Chord Mojo, together with a decent glass optical cable (e.g. Lifatec).

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks, CJG888. I will consider that suggestion, yet ideally, I would prefer a new DAP to solve for lag, small screen size, etc. I also do not want two boxes anymore. I went through my ipod + amp phase of my portable audio life a while ago, and have graduated to a single box solution, and I my needs surely can be met this way. So, do you have any single source suggestions other than adding a chord mojo?

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Cayin N3Pro is my daily driver DAP.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks popzeus and ceiji. Will look into these. Glad to have options, and will have both the Cayin and the Sony WM1A on my list as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back