DAP recommendations?
May 23, 2018 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Seancs14

100+ Head-Fier
Lookng to get my first DAP and hoping to get some insight.

My main IEM’s are Campfire Audio Vegas. I currently use a mojo and recently picked up a Fiio Q5 to try the BT pairing (good but not great). Love the sound of both with the Vegas, but am getting sick of stacking so want to pick up a DAP.

I bought a Fiio X5iii but it was annoyingly laggy with Tidal, particularly when streaming and not offline stored content, so I returned it. Plus the buttons were in really inconvenient places.

Here’s what I’m looking for.
1. Offline Tidal support, ideally on both the external and internal storage.
2. Smooth interface with little/no lag on Tidal
3. Pairs well with my Vegas and can power them. They scale well, so the more power the better.
4. Under $500 new or used.
5. Solid battery life
6. Ideally running Android 6 just to have longer future support.
7. From a company that updates firmware, good support, etc.
8. External memory slot in addition to internal memory.

Here’s my current shortlist. Any stand out as better or worse for what I want? Other recommendations?

Ibasso DX150
Fiio X7ii
Onkyo DP-X1
Pioneer xdp-300r
Cayin N5ii
Hiby R6

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 2
Personally I think Ibasso DX150 and Fiio X7ii are good because of their interchangeable Amp module. 4.4mm balanced is a hype now and everyone is going for it. You might put this in as one of your consideration.

Another option would be AK70 Mk II. Small and light. The user interface is very user friendly. For XDP-300R from Pioneer, I find it a little analytical and lay back. I don't know whether it will affect the performance of your vega.

DP-X1 is relatively warmer as compared to XDP-300R based on my short audition on it. But the jack could be a disaster. You might consider DP-X1A which is the successor that Onkyo claimed that the jack issue is solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back