DAP recommendations for Shure 535s
May 12, 2015 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gazmoses

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I'm looking to pick up a DAP to carry all my lossless music in one place, as i'm over the storage limitations of my iPhone.  I've played around with a few HD downloads, although the vast majority of my collection are ALAC CD rips.  I've got a pretty even mix of rock, pop, alternative and easy listening... although these days leaning much more towards relaxing female vocals.

Out of the house I usually have my Shure 535s.
At home I have my Senn HD700s and a Woo WA7, so the DAP will probably be less relevant to this setup.

I think i've got it down to FiiOs and A&Ks.  My local oz retailer has pricing along the lines of: X3 2nd gen ($260), X5 ($440), heavily discounted AK100 ($499) and AK100 MK2 ($599), and a pre-order option of the AK Jr ($699).

I'm mindful the AK100s have been around a while, although 'general' consensus appears to be they are quite superior sound wise to the FiiOs.

No doubt i need to get in store and give them a trial myself, although keen to hear anyone's thoughts, particularly given those price points.

Thanks

May 13, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 6

I'm mindful the AK100s have been around a while, although 'general' consensus appears to be they are quite superior sound wise to the FiiOs.

If it's the MkI I'd doubt it - the output impedance on the first version is a bit high. Not that big of a problem but what was originally a $599 player sounds like it's a little bit lacking in oomph next to a $99 Fiio X1 (driving my 32ohm Aurisonics ASG-1.3), the only thing it has going for it for most people is the storage (internal 32gb plus two microSD slots), while I would at least also appreciate the volume knob. So actually if I ran into an AK100 MkI for around $200 used I'd buy it primarily for those, even for a little hit on the SQ.

May 13, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeah i did mean the 1st gen AK100.  
I forgot to mention that all those prices are Australian, and we get kind of shafted when compared to US prices in general, both on exchange rates, and RRPs.
For example the AK100s had original prices of AUD1100+

May 13, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 6
Personally, I'd grab FiiO X3K (X3II) for your Shure SE535. I don't really think one of the AK players will pull much more out of SE535 before they hit thier performance ceiling, they're a bit fussy source wise and you want low output impedance. Best source I found for my SE535 synergy wise was Cowon J3, this was preferred over some of the iBasso models, FiiO X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back