DAP Recommendations between (100€ and 250€)[Options so far: Cowon Plenue D, Fiio X3II, Fiio X1, Shanening M2]
Jan 16, 2016 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Focalor

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Currently I'm in the market for a new DAP after my Sony NWZ-S545 died;

What I'm looking for is a new DAP that is transportable and maybe has can act as a dedicated DAC;

Background:

Mostly I listen do my music on my work place using my laptop with a FIIO E17 and my SONY MDR-1R

For my portable gear I use an iPod nano 6th gen and Monster iSport Intensity IEM;

What I want is a DAP with good sound (since most of my music is from iTunes m4a aac) and a good UI

I have narrowed my choices to FIIO X1, X3II, and Shaneling M2; Price wise I can these units in europe for 99€, 209€ and 249€ respectively;(EDITED: well I'm also now wondering abount the Cowon Plenue D)

The idea is the DAP to be my main to go music source (maybe in the future I will change for Nano for the FIIO M3);

What do you guys think? Are the differences between the Shaneling M2 and Fiio X3II to the Fiio X1 worth the money difference? And what between the X3II and M2?

I Open to another suggestions but keep in mind that I need to order in europe due to customs and importation fees, also the UI even though not mandatory is important since I like to view all my music tag base (that was the main reason for excluding xDuuo X2 or X3 from my List)

Thank you

As a side note I'm also considering afterwards upgrading my IEMs but that is another topic unless someone can suggest a great combo :p

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 10
I found the X3ii and ATH-IM04 sounded wonderful together.

As for the Shanling, read some of our reviews and impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shanling-m2-hifi-portable-lossless-musicl-player-dsd-player/reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/t/778451/shanling-m2-dap

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi,

Quote:
I found the X3ii and ATH-IM04 sounded wonderful together.

As for the Shanling, read some of our reviews and impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shanling-m2-hifi-portable-lossless-musicl-player-dsd-player/reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/t/778451/shanling-m2-dap

I have read all the reviews and threads for the given players :) that is the reason why I narrowed the choices to these :)
I will start reading for the ATH-IM04 to narrow my IEM choices :p 

AMP3 with 10% off voucher can get you Fiio X5 ii for £246.

In the current exchange rate even with the 10% off coupon it would be 321€ :)

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 10

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Take it from me who has all of the above.. The Shanling M2 is the way to go. The M2 has the most natural sound and soundstage out of all of these budget players. I primarily own all the RHA IEMs and Sony IEMs, from their budget XB110 to the XBA-A2's. With each of the above the Shanling outperforms each of these players.

Once you try it, there's something that just laid back and organic to it.. The sound never sounds too artificial like the Plenue D can be. It doesn't always sound artificial. It's only when you start using the JetFx in conjunction with the BBE. It alters the soundstage just a little too much and causes the instruments to sound digital (For obvious reasons.) Please don't start a flame war on me for stating my personal experience with it, as it can sound very lively and energetic and due to that, will cause you to forget about the details in the music and just enjoy music for what it is, Music. That's a good thing. Hence why I do love the Plenue D, just not as much as the Shanling M2.

The X3ii is very good as well, and probably the closest competitor to the M2. Especially when considering the price point of the two DAPs and the Cirrus Logic CS4398. However, it's the low pass filter that is used in the M2 that sets it above the X3ii and the Screen of the M2 that set it above the X3ii. Yes, the X3ii has more power in its amp. But the amp of the M2 packs a pretty heft punch. So don't let specs mislead you. Similar to the First get X3 had more power than the X3 2ng gen. Again in real world usage, the X3 2nd gen has the better amp of the 2 X3's.

Both the M2 and the X3ii have very black backgrounds (noise floors). Again, don't let the 7 ohm reference fool you. It's a very capable player. As always, it's all about finding synergy with your equipment.

Hope this helps.

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi sledgeharvy

Thanks for your reply 
regular_smile .gif

I Already made the purchase two month ago, I purchased the M2 
regular_smile .gif
 and I have been pairing it with Shure SE425;

It seems I have made the right choice reading your feedback;

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back