DAP Recommendation
Oct 25, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 26
I've actually done the comparison between 256 AAC and lossless on my PC, and frankly I can't hear any obvious difference between the two. I honestly think any perceived increase in sound quality is a placebo effect. It's likely that the difference is so minute that the average person just can't hear. Either that, or I have bad ears. :wink:

People have passed blind tests 320kbps vs lossless. The difference is there, but usually not significant enough to tell for most people. I can't tell the difference between 320kbps vs lossless for the most part. You haven't heard hi res files yet so you shouldn't really be saying there's no difference. And no, I'm not trying to claim that there is a difference, but it's kind of wrong to say that there isn't when you can't prove it, or when you haven't even heard it. And that includes the differences between DAPs.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 26
OK,  I get the general sentiment that for a mobile player, which I'll be using in a lot of ambient noise (car, plane) a modest player and good earphones is a good approach.  but since my ipod died, I need to replace it with some kind of player, that is easy to use, in $100 range, $200 max.    

Of the players in that ball park today (2014) what would you suggest ?

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #18 of 26
Fiio x1 is a good player and is 'only' $100. Or you can get an ipod I guess

X3 if you want a usb dac and you don't mind a warm sounding DAP.

I actually like the sound of the x1 better than the x3 lol

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #21 of 26
So you're saying the tracks I purchased on HDtracks.com are not hi-res? You are making an assumption that those who "supposedly" pass a single round of blind tests did not do it by luck. You're right that I cannot outright prove that people cannot hear a difference, but science suggests that humans probably cannot. 

Um, you can't play high res on an ipod, regardless of where you bought it lol. I bet your computer doesn't support it either.

And it's 10 rounds, not just one.

Science didn't prove that either lol. Everyone has their own different theories and different "sciences", and that's why you get one person saying this and another saying that.

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #22 of 26
Um, you can't play high res on an ipod, regardless of where you bought it lol. I bet your computer doesn't support it either.

And it's 10 rounds, not just one.

Frankly, I find your dismissive attitude toxic. Of course if everything isn't what you thought it was, the problem is my computer because it was probably built in 1998 with an on-board sound card am I right? And the other problem is I played it on the iPod. You should start treating your peers with a little more respect. No one likes an elitist, buddy. You said yourself that you can't hear a difference, yet you continue to believe in this hi res baloney because why? Does it justify your purchases in a way? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back