DAP Recommendation
Oct 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

sac666

New Head-Fier
Hi

This is my first post. I presently own a Cowon iAudio x5 and I am looking for an upgrade and have a budget of around £200.
I am mainly looking for an improvement in sound quality. 
I listen to Metal ( all genres - power, heavy, thrash, death etc ) and have collection of around 25% FLAC and around 75% mp3 ( 320 - 256 kbps ). 
I also use Audio Technica ath m50 as my primary headphones & Grado sr80i as secondary.
I am looking for a player where Guitars, cymbals , drums sound as close to real as possible ( for Flacs ) & want also want the mp3s to sound good when paired with above headphones.

After reading the forum,I am leaning towards iBasso dx50 but not sure if it would handle bad recording ( mp3s ) well or if it is suitable to metal. 
My second preference was Fiio x3 

Could some please advice which will be best DAP for under £200 for listening to metal with ath m50 & grado sr80

Thanks you for your suggestions !!

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 26
How about the Fiio X5 if you can stretch your budget?
If you can't, then mebe the Colorfly with an amp (think Fiio e12)?
This combo will have better sq than the DX50.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 26
Oct 13, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 26
I think you can do this even cheaper and still upgrade from your Cowon.

Look at the FiiO X1 that's just been released, sounds better than any Cowons I've heard for example S9, J3, C2, D2. It's even challenging my Colorfly C3 and F806 walkman.

You can try DX50 but I do not rate it's headphone out (internal amp) very highly. It suffers weak separation and soundstage, but is generously detailed in resolution. it can however go the distance with a good amp from line out.

My best suggestion would be FiiO X1, then later add an amp if you feel (it supports line out). I have no doubt it's an upgrade from your Cowon, with change left over.

If you want to spend money though, jump straight to FiiO X5 OR DX90.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 26
  How about the Fiio X5 if you can stretch your budget?
If you can't, then mebe the Colorfly with an amp (think Fiio e12)?
This combo will have better sq than the DX50.

NVM, the C&C BH2 will be a much better amp for the Colorfly C3, sorry for the mixup.  Disregard my post about the e12.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732922/c-c-bh2-headphone-amp-lowered-price

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 26
I have been using an old ipod 5th gen as a player into the Aux input in my car.  I also use it on airplanes with $100 ear buds.  Its pretty convenient, sync to itunes etc.and pretty easy to select / play songs while driving with minimal distraction since it has playlists and the navigation wheel.    But it died yesterday.  (Still appears to work but no audio comes out of the headphone jack.)  

Eventually I'd like to take a serious plunge into hi-end portable audio, but for now I just need to replace the player for $100-200. I have mp3, FLAC and aiff files on my computer. My I'm not doing "critical listening" while in the car or planes due to all the ambient noise etc.     But I do want convenient user interface. 

The Filo X3  ($190) stretches my budget a bit.   Do the players in the $100-150 range (X1, C3 ,Basso) provide as-good-or-better  convenience  and sound quality than a used  iPod would? (eBay)

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 26
I'm going to be frank. The upgrade in SQ is going to be minimal if you're just going to upgrade to the X3. You're better off investing your $200 on a new pair of earphones. You'll see a much bigger difference.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 26
I'm going to be frank. The upgrade in SQ is going to be minimal if you're just going to upgrade to the X3. You're better off investing your $200 on a new pair of earphones. You'll see a much bigger difference.

Ah.. good suggestion.   But in my current situation, I have been using my ipod thru my car stereo about 90% of the time and with earphones on planes or  other about 10% of the time. Since the iPod no longer works,  I need to replace it.   I'm a bit surprised to hear that the X3 would not sound that much better than an iPod - even with  $100  (Etymotic) ear phones.   But that is good to know.   I probably can't afford both a replacement player (new or used) and upgraded ear phones at this time.   Hmmm....

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 26
In that case, I honestly think you're better off picking up an iPod shuffle or a used iPod. It's cheaper, smaller, and generally better looking. You're not going to hear any difference with your IEMs anyway. Besides, the UI on the Fiio X series, although serviceable, is not as smooth as Apple's products.

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 26
In that case, I honestly think you're better off picking up an iPod shuffle or a used iPod. It's cheaper, smaller, and generally better looking. You're not going to hear any difference with your IEMs anyway. Besides, the UI on the Fiio X series, although serviceable, is not as smooth as Apple's products.

glad I asked about these players.  I've never had the chance to actually try one.   I was kind of hoping that the SQ would be noticeable even with 'good' but not 'great' ear phones. , or in the car.  especially with hi-res files that won't play on the ipod.       I need a replacement soon,  and hope to buy something on Amazon prime this weekend.

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 26
Yeah, I honestly think the Hi-Res audio business is little more than a bunch of marketing puffery anyway. I can hear no obvious deference between a "Hi-Res" audio file and an AAC audio file, and that's while using a $500 pair of IEMs. If there is a difference, it is so minuscule that its barely even audible.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 26
Yeah, I honestly think the Hi-Res audio business is little more than a bunch of marketing puffery anyway. I can hear no obvious deference between a "Hi-Res" audio file and an AAC audio file, and that's while using a $500 pair of IEMs. If there is a difference, it is so minuscule that its barely even audible.

Actually the main upgrade is from the dac/amp. There is a difference, and you'll probably hear it, but that doesn't make it worth it. Most people use lossy/lossless on their audiophile players, but it still sounds a bit better than an ipod. Plus any high res files you listen to isn't really high res if you're listening it on an ipod :)

Anyway, I agree that upgrading your IEMs would be the better choice unless you really need the extra features of a more expensive DAP

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 26
Actually the main upgrade is from the dac/amp. There is a difference, and you'll probably hear it, but that doesn't make it worth it. Most people use lossy/lossless on their audiophile players, but it still sounds a bit better than an ipod. Plus any high res files you listen to isn't really high res if you're listening it on an ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I agree that upgrading your IEMs would be the better choice unless you really need the extra features of a more expensive DAP

I've actually done the comparison between 256 AAC and lossless on my PC, and frankly I can't hear any obvious difference between the two. I honestly think any perceived increase in sound quality is a placebo effect. It's likely that the difference is so minute that the average person just can't hear. Either that, or I have bad ears. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back