DAP recommendation
Feb 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

veruvius

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I had a X5L, which I loved, until I dropped it so many times the battery stopped working, the left channel on the headphone jack stopped working, and it was stolen (or I just plain lost it).

Now, I would like to get a flash based player. I have a pair of UM1s that will be the headphones of choice. It will be used for commuting (where I plan on learning Japanese through audio files), and at the gym (music). My collection is about 18gb, but that can and will be trimmed down. I listen to everything, and with no serious preference for any genre. I don't envision myself watching many videos, but seeing how I've never had a video worthy player, that might change.

My priorities include ability to drag and drop files, ease of use, and battery life. I might be being vague, but I haven't totally sorted out what I really want. I'm going to check out some players tonight/tomorrow for first hand experience, but guidance would be great. Thanks!

P.S. I could wait for something if there is a new player on the horizon that is definitely worth it, like the 82x (though I don't know how long it will take for the price to drop to a reasonable amount).

Edit: Oh yeah, NO IPODS! They seem all well and good, but I hate getting things everyone else has.

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Way to be a nonconformist.

I like the sony nwz-816, it's only 4GB, but you can get the 8GB version or sony is coming out with a new line of flash players up to 16 or 32 GB i can't remember. The only beef I have with the sony is there exists a hissing at low volumes, but it is imperceptible at normal volumes. The sound quality is quite good, the bass is pretty much the same as my zen, but I prefer the mids and highs of the sony to the zen.

EDIT: oh yea and the battery life is VERY good. Claims something like 30 hrs and it gets very close to that in real life. The interface is clean and easy to use IMO.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Those are pretty expensive, I think the 16 gig is $300, but if you can spend that it may be a good choice. If not, the current gen sony's will come down a little I hope.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, it's gonna be too pricey at first. I've been reading a little about the Cowon D2, and that might be interesting. The SD slot would be key. Does anyone know if media on the SD card is fully integrated to the music library (unlike the Zen)? Also, I'm not sure if touchscreens are really worth it, especially for exercising and such.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by veruvius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's gonna be too pricey at first. I've been reading a little about the Cowon D2, and that might be interesting. The SD slot would be key. Does anyone know if media on the SD card is fully integrated to the music library (unlike the Zen)? Also, I'm not sure if touchscreens are really worth it, especially for exercising and such.

The media on the sd cards are integrated into the library.

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah the 16gb a820 is $280 I think but they come with bluetooth headphones although a review said the bluetooth isn't so good. I would either get that, creative zen (super cheap), or iriver clix2/iaudio 7. But ultimately the a820 is my choice for an all around device partly b/c it's a vertical design with a simple button layout. Plus it's pretty sexy.

Also, I thought the same thing about ipods but really, they're very nice mp3 players and you will appreciate actually having one and not saying "...because everyone else has one...". The 5.5 gen you can find for like $100 which is a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back