DAP recommendation
Jun 9, 2007 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Head-Fier
hello all,
im after a new DAP since my ancient 'ipod mini' is out of room and the battery is becoming unbearable. at first i was considering just buying a larger ipod, but numerous troubles with ipods' battery life has me thinking. my top priorities are:

over 20GB of space, long reliable battery life, sound quality and compatability...in no particular order.

being itunes compatible would be a bonus, as re-organising my library would be nice to avoid, but sacrifices have to be made i guess.
im currently not using and amp and they will be running my k81DJ's.
at the moment, the zune has caught my eye. any suggestions?
thanks in advance.

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 7
Since i spotted the word compatibility before typing Zune, i'd say an Iaudio X5L. You'll get 30gigs of space, huge battery life, one of the best sounding players around, and support for pretty much all music formats (Flac if you want it).

The Zunes a great player, but currently your limited to a very narrow range of music formats.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 7
get the Zune...the just recently discontinued Cowon X5L or the Creative Labs Zen Vision:M

or just settle on an iPod 5.5 80GB if you want to keep using itunes. Later

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 7
I think the iPod batteries have improved a lot over the last few generations. At least, Apple is advertising much lengthier expected battery life. You might check out the currently posted specs on their website.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm getting a Zune this Friday. I recommend it only because I'm willing to convert all the music I have (and redownload a ridiculous portion of it as well) to v0. Besides, they look awesome. I'm getting the Halo 3 edition of it. Really, it's got a cool screen and that whole wi-fi thing will pan out once Microsoft gets back its sanity.

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 7
The battery life on my 5.5G 80G iPod is much better than my 4G 40G. What is the file types in your library. If you have purchased AACs you are limited to iPods. There are a few non-Apple DAPs that can play non-DRMed AACs. I've read that the Zune is one of them.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 7
There are more AAC daps, and the Zune is one of them. But if your music is bought from the itunes store and not ripped from CDs... you're pretty much stuck with a ipod unless you want to burn your music and re-rip it. A tedious thing to do for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back