DAP recommendation needed
Dec 27, 2023 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chortya

100+ Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fi community,

I am constantly upgrading, downgrading and even completely removing my portable HiFi gear.
Currently I only use Bluetooth sources Android mobile phone, Fiio BTR7 streaming to Beyerdynamic Xelento 2gen, Focal Bathys and Custom Art Fibae7u.
I would like to get a streaming DAP for wired headphone consumption again but on limited budget. I do not plan to invest into 4,4mm cables, so single ended output only is sufficient.
Android is a must as I plan to use different streaming services. Budget is up to 500 Euro for used or new.

I owned different DAPs before, Sony, Fiio, iBasso but did not follow the market recently. Even somethibg exotic like Tempotec would work for me.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 11
Hiby R6 Pro 2 is one of the best SQ wise in my opinion if you can find a used one at €500. It is not without flaws though. Battery back up is lacking when streaming and the amp section could’ve been better but overall it’s an amazing DAP. Android 12, Flagship AKM DAC that’s been implemented well (you will be rewarded if you choose to pair it with a portable amp) and personally the system wide MSEB settings are great.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 11
And btw, I too use Xelento 2nd gen and it pairs really well with R6 Pro 2. But do know that R6 Pro 2 dulls the bass a little. Not by much but just a little. It however does justice to vocals and has smooth treble.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 11
I have decided to give Sony NW-A306 a try. 330 Euro new. I need to admit I am a bit of Sony-fanboy too. Previosly I was always targeting expensive high end gear but sometimes less is more.
Oh yes! But be aware that it’s lacking in power it’s fairly sufficient for Xelento and Fibae7 but your upgrade path will be limited if you ever decide to do so. I would recommend putting a WTB post as I’ve seen them go for as low as €200 with cases. Might as well save some money.

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Received Sony NW-A306 today. Super disappointed by the sound. Wi-Fi is very noisy so it's unsuitable for streaming. Fiio BTR7 sounds definitely better. I guess I will stay with it.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 11
Received Sony NW-A306 today. Super disappointed by the sound. Wi-Fi is very noisy so it's unsuitable for streaming. Fiio BTR7 sounds definitely better. I guess I will stay with it.
A bit late but as one of the above users said, if you can find a Hiby R6P2 used for around 500 it's the best value for money high-end DAP right now.
I have the Sony Zx707 and I'm disappointed by the sound. To make it worse, Sony changes the sound in every firmware update and at least to my ears it got worse over time.
I was a fan of Sony house sound, not anymore.

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 11
NW-A306 is an entry level product. It is good to use it as a digital transport but not really meant to deliver high quality output. YT reviews focus much on its price and functionality but most of the folks saying that it’s excellent sound output wise, they’re saying this either relative to the price or just hyping it for no reason.

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 11
A bit late but as one of the above users said, if you can find a Hiby R6P2 used for around 500 it's the best value for money high-end DAP right now.
I have the Sony Zx707 and I'm disappointed by the sound. To make it worse, Sony changes the sound in every firmware update and at least to my ears it got worse over time.
I was a fan of Sony house sound, not anymore.
I completely agree. I used WM1A and WM1AM2 and they’re good but differentiating factor between ZX707 and WM1A/WM1Z series is that WM1A/Z series is consistent in their sound. ZX707 I believe is a product that Sony released just to fill a price gap that they have. I’ve been extremely disappointed with ZX707. I wouldn’t buy it used or new no matter how good the price is.

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back