DAP recommendation needed
Feb 17, 2022 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chasmore

Head-Fier
Hi there. I have one prime requirement from a DAP and that is the ability to handle 80,000+ tracks (555GB). I currently have a Fiio x5iii which is a bit glitchy running that amount. I also have the A&K SR15 which is even more glitchy with that amount (works OK up to 40-50,000 then falls down in performance terms. It works a little better when I use Foobar 2000 on it.

Is there a DAP out there which as well as selling itself on up to 1 or 2 TB microsd capacity can actually perform when being put through the paces of handling that many tracks.

And yes, I know - why that many tracks? I listen to cds at home and in the car. when on the move I listen to my DAP on shuffle for the surprise element of not knowing what's coming next and it often throws up something which I haven't listened to for ages and makes me dig out the cd when I get home. Largely lossless - burnt off cds on Itunes

Any recommendations very gratefully received.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 6
I use 1TB full in my iBasso DX300 and it's smooth, DX240 will be the same so that is my recommendation.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 6
I mean since the DX300 is discontinued, your option is the DX240 or Fiio M11 plus also should work fine with big library.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 6
I use 1TB full in my iBasso DX300 and it's smooth, DX240 will be the same so that is my recommendation.
Thanks. Really appreciate that. Out of interest how many tracks do you have - I gather from past experience it's the number of tracks not necessarily the memory size that affects performance.

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 6
I have almost everything in FLAC, 31078 tracks in 1 TB card.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 6
So I am roadtesting an IBasso DX240 which is working really well except in one respect and that is the Bluetooth connection. I have tried it with a Sony Soundbar, Bowers and Wilkins headphones and Sony in ear phones and the same issue crops up with all - and it is a dangerous one.

When I switch the bluetooth device on and press play on the DAP, the volume is deafening until I twiddle the volume knob slightly at which point it drops to normal. It happens every time I reconnect the bluetooth device to the player but wjhile it remains connected I can pause and play as often as I want and it doesn't happen - the volume level remains normal.

Anyone have any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back