DAP recommendation for Tidal offline?
Apr 30, 2023 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dfiled

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I am looking for a recommendation for an android-based DAP that works, without issues, for offline downloaded Tidal music using the Tidal app.

I owned a Fiio m11 for a long time but it was constantly crashing and tidal offline mode never worked without major issues. I sold it and stupidly replaced it with the M11 pro, which predictably has all the same issues. I don’t know if the problem is Fiio or the outdated version of android, but I’m done.

If anyone has a DAP that has works well with tidal offline tracks I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 5
I would focus on units with current versions of Android and a fast snapdragon chip. I gave up on a few units for downloading streaming music (Amazon and Apple) due to glitches and slow response times.

As far as Tidal goes, it does appear that they are moving away from MQA to regular, lossless hi res FLAC as their background file format. That is actually a good thing.

Lately I have been using a dongle with my iphone. A bit clumsier than having a DAP; but then again streaming is flawless. I have the FIIO Q3-MQA which as you can guess features MQA among other features. I just saw that engadget endorsed the previous model, the Q3 which does not have MQA.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi all,
I am looking for a recommendation for an android-based DAP that works, without issues, for offline downloaded Tidal music using the Tidal app.

I owned a Fiio m11 for a long time but it was constantly crashing and tidal offline mode never worked without major issues. I sold it and stupidly replaced it with the M11 pro, which predictably has all the same issues. I don’t know if the problem is Fiio or the outdated version of android, but I’m done.

If anyone has a DAP that has works well with tidal offline tracks I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!
I have the M11 Pro, and I have no issues with Tidal playlist downloads. Downloading an album is more effort, as I have to take a quick listen to the album while on-line, then it works when out and about. Playlist downloads do not need to be “refreshed”.

I side loaded the Tidal app from the .apk file.

Good luck.

May 31, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 5
I recently got the ZX-707 and it works quite well, the only downside is that seems that the only "quick" way to play offline content is to go to the @#! settings (each time you leave your house for example) and toggle the offline switch..., so they appear available. Otherwise might take a while, up to a minute or so.

Would be great if Tidal made from it a bit less painful process, like automatically detect you are out of the grid and offline content is just there ready to be played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back