DAP Recommendation between Fiio M11 Plus ESS version, iBasso DX240 and iBasso DX300
Apr 8, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #16 of 24
Sony is more expensive for everything even for the things they didn’t invent. 😁

Form factor is a good point. I haven’t had the chance to hold either in my hand so I didn’t know that. Something transportable should suit my need. When on the move, I use my iphone and Bluetooth in-ears. I don’t need hifi sound when in the Tube or walking in a noisy city environment.
Good point! During commute, mostly I would just bring my Android Phone and Galaxy Buds. But, I had my DAP and at least one IEM as a backup if I did not want to drain my phone.

Apr 8, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 24
Ah ye well in that case it would fit you pretty well! I wanna get the Hifiman Sundara next, which is a planar headphone

I had the Sundara on a loaner for a while and it was incredibly good value. Incredible sound for the price but in the end open-back wasn’t for me or rather for my wife I should say 😊

I was driving them ok with one Dragonfly blue so I don’t think they are really difficult to drive.

Apr 9, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #18 of 24
I was in the same boat. Have been waiting for the Sony WM1AM2, but knowing that they will cripple the power output like crazy i cant be asked spending 1.4k € for that device. Especially since it's unavailable everywhere lul..

I went with the FiiO M11 Plus as my "entry" dap and i'm not disappointed at all! It might be a bit of a chungus but it's super responsive and i really love the lil visualzer they put into their music app! I paired them with the good ol' Moondrop Blessing 2 and I also ordered a Starfield, which is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm not a pro-listener by any means, but even I can tell the difference between the super compressed stuff i used to listen to and the good quality I get out of that combo now. Couldn't be much happier and the M11 does the job and my next chunk of money will go towards getting some really nice pair of headphones.

I hope my experience helps you out a bit!

Cheers
I am in the same boat too, deciding between M11 Plus ESS & DX240.

The biggest disadvantage in M11 Plus for me is the volume touch panel, I would like to have an old good knob.
However, ibasso wants too much for DX240, there is no justification for $1000 price, especially when M11 Plus priced at $700. They even ask $220 for the better AMP which should be included for free at this price point. Looks like ibasso is simply looking for ways to rob you.

After some research on Sony WM1AM2, I even don't consider it due to the slow soc/cpu which was reused from NW-ZX500. This can make streaming apps unusable. I see it unacceptable for $1400 & $4200 players. https://www.call-t.co.jp/tenchoblog/entry/033955.html (use google translate in Chrome)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #19 of 24
I am in the same boat too, deciding between M11 Plus ESS & DX240.

The biggest disadvantage in M11 Plus for me is the volume touch panel, I would like to have an old good knob.
However, ibasso wants too much for DX240, there is no justification for $1000 price, especially when M11 Plus priced at $700. They even ask $220 for the better AMP which should be included for free at this price point. Looks like ibasso is simply looking for ways to rob you.

After some research on Sony WM1AM2, I even don't consider it due to the slow soc/cpu which was reused from NW-ZX500. This can make streaming apps unusable. I see it unacceptable for $1400 & $4200 players. https://www.call-t.co.jp/tenchoblog/entry/033955.html (use google translate in Chrome)
You can buy the DX240 without Amp and buy the Amp2 module separately. Still more expensive than the M11 though.

Here in the UK the iBasso with Amp1 is at £730 vs £640 for the M11. The DX240 is at £650 without amp module.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #20 of 24
You can buy the DX240 without Amp and buy the Amp2 module separately. Still more expensive than the M11 though.

Here in the UK the iBasso with Amp1 is at £730 vs £640 for the M11. The DX240 is at £640 without amp module.
Sadly there is no such option in USA. All stores sell DX240 with Amp1 and offer AMP8 separately. In any case it is still much more expensive without a reason.
Some photos of the boards:

iBasso-DX-240-DX240-Modular-DAP-Portable-Music-Player-MQA-DSD-Hi-Res-Balanced-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-61-900x532.jpg

s6ogfwaeam271.jpg

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #21 of 24
Purchased M11 Plus ESS and have no regrets so far. I thought the volume touch panel would bother me but absolutely not, in fact I think it's not bad at all. The included case is also very good, the leather is soft and high quality.

Regarding DX240, it is terribly overpriced as many reviewers already pointed out. Just look at the PCB above, I bet iBasso thought they would make more money on the wave of inflaction with $1000 price but most likely they will find themselves in limbo with little demand. Moreover, they probably intentionally did not include 4.4 bal output so customers pay extra $220 for the AMP8 module. What a joke.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #22 of 24
Purchased M11 Plus ESS and have no regrets so far. I thought the volume touch panel would bother me but absolutely not, in fact I think it's not bad at all. The included case is also very good, the leather is soft and high quality.

Regarding DX240, it is terribly overpriced as many reviewers already pointed out. Just look at the PCB above, I bet iBasso thought they would make more money on the wave of inflaction with $1000 price but most likely they will find themselves in limbo with little demand. Moreover, they probably intentionally did not include 4.4 bal output so customers pay extra $220 for the AMP8 module. What a joke.
Did you have the opportunity to listen to the iBasso?

Jun 7, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 24
thanks for your impressions on both the ibasso and fiio. i currently have the m11 pro and want something more actual. the lack of being able to use wavelet on the fiio m11 pro (android 7.0) is one of the reasons to swap. i do like the ibasso more from the form factor but as already said it is too expensive.

Feb 27, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #24 of 24
Just purchased a FiiO M11 Plus ESS. My first DAP ever, cos’ I usually prefer DAC’s, BT’d to my iPhone. However, I must say, I now totally get the hype & appeal around DAP’s. It makes sense to me now. Love the FiiO. Nonetheless, the $18oo.oo Ibasso “ X “ looks like a compelling (upgrade?) 🤣💸 Where was I?🤔 Oh, also, a fairly popular YouTuber conducted a shootout. The $9oo.oo Shanling Ultra had the quietest noise floor 🤫 However, the $65o.oo FiiO is arguably the best bang for the buck. Sound? I stream music, so I’m good with the tune. It’s bold, full bodied, mellow, yet energetic & clean throughout the frequency range. Has boosted bass, but the midrange doesn’t suffer from it. The midrange is still clean and heard. Basically, no mic check is needed🎙️ The kit comes with everything you need. The case even appears to be real leather. Smells like new leather. FiiO is at the top of their game ⛹🏽‍♂️ In short, it’s a solid choice, IMHO 🙌🏽

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back