DAP/Portable Headphones/IEM recommendations
Nov 4, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #16 of 54
N3 Pro would be a solid choice. So would the DX170. Either as a new purchase would be hard to beat for the $.

One way I search the classifieds, if you're considering used....go to the Classifieds main area. Then category 'Source Components', then subcategory DAPs, then use the search bar for the manufacturers you are interested in.

So: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/categories/daps.10

A couple current listings using iBasso come up for the DX220 (slightly over your $500 cap), 1 for the DX170 (very reasonable).

Same goes for searching Cayin. Although....not much in the N3 Pro area. Which could be interpreted as either people are really happy with them and don't want to sell, or there weren't a lot sold to begin with.

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #17 of 54
I didn't see anywhere an objection to bluetooth, so I might suggest something like the FiiO BTR7 or BTR5. I have the latter; wish I had waited a little and gotten the former. They are small, can connect via bluetooth or USB, decent battery life, and double as a USB DAC/AMP. Relatively easy UI to navigate as well. They don't store music themselves though, not sure how much of a deal breaker that would be; I play off my phone on the go and plug in to a PC when at work. They are a lot cheaper than the big DAPs out there, so maybe that would sweeten the deal. I see the BTR7 is $210 on Amazon, can probably find it elsewhere for cheaper. BTR5 is even cheaper, $130 on amazon.

Just to be clear, they can work off of USB instead of Bluetooth, it's just a convenience option if you want to make your IEM "wireless". I have the FiiO M17, ended up after a while crawling back to the BTR5 for work/mobile use. It's just more convenient size, has enough power for all my IEMs and most of my HPs. While it's better to have a direct source for your music, I find it annoying trying to keep multiple devices up-to-date with my latest music; just having my phone or my computer be a source is more convenient. YMMV.

Very surprising utility out of such a tiny device. If I could re-do, I would buy the BTR7 and not buy the M17 or BTR5. I had hoped to use the M17 in place of a proper desktop setup on top of mobile use, and found the compromise to get both functions in one device is not worth it (for me). Again, YMMV

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #18 of 54
I didn't see anywhere an objection to bluetooth, so I might suggest something like the FiiO BTR7 or BTR5. I have the latter; wish I had waited a little and gotten the former. They are small, can connect via bluetooth or USB, decent battery life, and double as a USB DAC/AMP. Relatively easy UI to navigate as well. They don't store music themselves though, not sure how much of a deal breaker that would be; I play off my phone on the go and plug in to a PC when at work. They are a lot cheaper than the big DAPs out there, so maybe that would sweeten the deal. I see the BTR7 is $210 on Amazon, can probably find it elsewhere for cheaper. BTR5 is even cheaper, $130 on amazon.

Just to be clear, they can work off of USB instead of Bluetooth, it's just a convenience option if you want to make your IEM "wireless". I have the FiiO M17, ended up after a while crawling back to the BTR5 for work/mobile use. It's just more convenient size, has enough power for all my IEMs and most of my HPs. While it's better to have a direct source for your music, I find it annoying trying to keep multiple devices up-to-date with my latest music; just having my phone or my computer be a source is more convenient. YMMV.

Very surprising utility out of such a tiny device. If I could re-do, I would buy the BTR7 and not buy the M17 or BTR5. I had hoped to use the M17 in place of a proper desktop setup on top of mobile use, and found the compromise to get both functions in one device is not worth it (for me). Again, YMMV
I did this very setup for years, instead of buying a DAP. While I have a BTR1, I mostly used an ES100. Doing this again, it'd be the BTR7 or Cayin RU6 (which I used). BTR7 looks like a very competent piece.

I just decided in early 2022 that I wanted to try the DAP route again, as I really enjoyed the separate convenience of my main phone being 'somewhere else' when I wanted to enjoy music without interruption/distraction.

FiiO would be a 3rd choice in my line of DAPs (but that's all me).

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #19 of 54
I did this very setup for years, instead of buying a DAP. While I have a BTR1, I mostly used an ES100. Doing this again, it'd be the BTR7 or Cayin RU6 (which I used). BTR7 looks like a very competent piece.

I just decided in early 2022 that I wanted to try the DAP route again, as I really enjoyed the separate convenience of my main phone being 'somewhere else' when I wanted to enjoy music without interruption/distraction.

FiiO would be a 3rd choice in my line of DAPs (but that's all me).
I'd like to mention I also tried the M11 Plus, found that it was still a bit of a brick (and not really different in terms of sound/noise floor to the m17) and returned it same day I opened it; I need something that's like, 2/3 the size of my phone if I end up trying the DAP route again. For now the BTR5 has all the power and convenience I need on the go. Also haven't touched my M17 in weeks, not since I got a proper desktop DAC.

On thinking about it I think I should sell my M17 lol

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #20 of 54

Good answer! But I do want wired haha, wireless just isn't for me, the slight hiss of bluetooth headphones really screws with my brain and I can't stand it.

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #21 of 54
N3 Pro would be a solid choice. So would the DX170. Either as a new purchase would be hard to beat for the $.

One way I search the classifieds, if you're considering used....go to the Classifieds main area. Then category 'Source Components', then subcategory DAPs, then use the search bar for the manufacturers you are interested in.

So: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/categories/daps.10

A couple current listings using iBasso come up for the DX220 (slightly over your $500 cap), 1 for the DX170 (very reasonable).

Same goes for searching Cayin. Although....not much in the N3 Pro area. Which could be interpreted as either people are really happy with them and don't want to sell, or there weren't a lot sold to begin with.
Yeah thats a great way to search it, but I use devbrada which has a nice search thing for em, theres a lotta nice stuff! I might go with the dx170, get a more entry level thing to test the waters rather than jumping in mid at the moment.

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 54
RIGHT! Final thing on the dap front that id like help with.

Budget and availability wise, its 100% the dx170 or the n3pro,

But from looking at reviews, and buyer feedback, both groups are happy with their purchases and recommend them, theyre roughly the same price, same availability... What do I go with haha?

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #23 of 54
RIGHT! Final thing on the dap front that id like help with.

Budget and availability wise, its 100% the dx170 or the n3pro,

But from looking at reviews, and buyer feedback, both groups are happy with their purchases and recommend them, theyre roughly the same price, same availability... What do I go with haha?
Have a phone with a voice assistant? It can flip a coin for you. :relaxed: Half kidding. :beerchug:

My thought process lands on the DX170 because of the things I've mentioned and reviews.

However, if you go with the Cayin, it's still a very solid choice. My pullback on the N3 Pro is the limitation of no music or video streaming possibility ever, as it only has the Cayin OS and music player. This means one is always buying Hi-Res files, or buying CDs then ripping them to FLAC files.

Music streaming is my outlet for finding new music, some of which is occasionally purchased as CDs (it's gotta be really good though). I figure the yearly cost of Qobuz (~$10/month) at FLAC quality is worth it versus radio, as I hate announcers and ads. Qobuz allows me to download for offline playing any CD that I'd be interested in, which is less than me building a CD collection, or investing in the Hi-Res files from online sources. I have about 250 gig in downloaded Qobuz music, but even more in FLAC files (CDs from a prior life working at a music store).

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #24 of 54
Have a phone with a voice assistant? It can flip a coin for you. :relaxed: Half kidding. :beerchug:

My thought process lands on the DX170 because of the things I've mentioned and reviews.

However, if you go with the Cayin, it's still a very solid choice. My pullback on the N3 Pro is the limitation of no music or video streaming possibility ever, as it only has the Cayin OS and music player. This means one is always buying Hi-Res files, or buying CDs then ripping them to FLAC files.

Music streaming is my outlet for finding new music, some of which is occasionally purchased as CDs (it's gotta be really good though). I figure the yearly cost of Qobuz (~$10/month) at FLAC quality is worth it versus radio, as I hate announcers and ads. Qobuz allows me to download for offline playing any CD that I'd be interested in, which is less than me building a CD collection, or investing in the Hi-Res files from online sources. I have about 250 gig in downloaded Qobuz music, but even more in FLAC files (CDs from a prior life working at a music store).

If the choice is:
Cayin N3PRO - Slightly better overall, but limited by no streaming
DX170 - Allows streaming

I will 100% go with the n3, I do not stream, at all. WHen I want to discover new stuff I will be on my pc, at home. The use of this DAP is for when I am out for an hour or two, or when i am on the train/away from home, I do not need to be discovering new stuff then, and my backlog of 100-200 albums will do fine.

Also you mentioned the dx220, that can also be had used for around the same price as a cayin new, is that worth considering?

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #25 of 54
If there is no hurry, then waiting on a deal for a higher end device is always an option.

The other point on the N3 Pro, is that it won’t ever be anything other than a music player. It is a proprietary OS, based off of HiBy OS. Again, all good if that’s the goal.

An android based device can have apps from the Play Store.

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #26 of 54
If there is no hurry, then waiting on a deal for a higher end device is always an option.

The other point on the N3 Pro, is that it won’t ever be anything other than a music player. It is a proprietary OS, based off of HiBy OS. Again, all good if that’s the goal.

An android based device can have apps from the Play Store.
I've got a phone if I want android apps, im fine with it just being a music player. But yeah maybe waiting would be better? But I do want something now ish

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #27 of 54
If you want to save a little bit of money and can wait for shipping, then AE will have their 11.11 sale on Nov. 11th. Otherwise, the links that I provided in the first page will be much faster for your location.

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #28 of 54
If you want to save a little bit of money and can wait for shipping, then AE will have their 11.11 sale on Nov. 11th. Otherwise, the links that I provided in the first page will be much faster for your location.
Whats AE Sorry? I am blanking on the acronym

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #29 of 54
Aliexpress

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #30 of 54
Aliexpress
Ah fair! I would rather avoid it, I have used them 3 times and twice they screwed me.

The UK site that that other guy linked has a dx170 "open box" for like £330 so i might get that since i assume it comes with warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back