DAP output specs mean anything?
Jul 25, 2005 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
Hi fellow head-fiers,

I am close to buying a pair of high impedence cans, specifically the DT880, and am wondering if my Panasonic MD player can drive the DT880s to a listenable (not audiophile but enjoyable relatively) level.

I'm not sure what the output specs for other portables are, but mine are 3.5mW+3.4mW at an impedence of 22ohms.

Please help me,
Renesis

Jul 25, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 6
MiniDisc players have notoriously weak headphone outputs, thanks to being designed to be as power-efficient as possible. I'd be willing to bet that you're gonna need an amp.

Jul 25, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 6
Also, you should be looking at output impedance closer to zero than that. Higher output impedanced cause audible attenuation of higher frequencies (usually) with phones that are not impedance linear.

Jul 25, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 6
It probably won't be able to drive the DT880s very well. Panasonic MD players have the weakest headphone output I'm aware of amongst MD players, and that's saying a lot considering how notorious they are for weak output. Even Sharp units with their relatively (for MD) beefy headphone outs probably won't be able to drive the DT880 particularly well. I'm surprised you didn't get the lower impedence DT860 for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back