DAP Or High End Android
Apr 8, 2016 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Crayonmuncher

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this has been covered before, 

Bascially im looking for a good source to drive dunu 2000j's been running through a few sources but just plugged them into my home audio and, well, wow. used ie80, re 600s etc but these turned out to be my fav so far.

Basically im wondering should I go for, with £150 budget a dap or phone.

Phone would be xperia z3 (as audio is meant to be good) or some kind of dap, new or secondhand. I believe the fiio x3 would be around this, but I am open to suggestions. I would ideally want high res with access to android if poss (still use google play for odd song I dont have on flac!, not that fussed on android tho, audio quality more important)

Mainly want a good audio, dont really care about phone features but it seems easier to find old phones than old daps!

Thanks,

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 5
I haven't really used my 2000J with a phone. It does seem like good sounding phones are pretty competitive with DAPs in this price range- especially if access to streaming/Android features are important to you.  They also have the benefit that you can add a portable dac/amp or just an amp should the sound prove dissatisfactory- as long as you don't mind the extra bulk.

Since it is a Sony phone and you are using the 2000J I would make sure to see if it has any hiss issues first, at least if hissing bothers you.

It does seem like the 2000J benefits from a well powered source though (for instance your own home rig experience? this review mentions "good current swing" though a little out of my knowledge), and you're more likely to get that from a dedicated DAP I reckon? x3ii's reputation seems pretty good.

Personally I think the 2000J make a great pairing with the Cowon Plenue D, which should be pretty close to your budget in the UK (it's a little more expensive stateside). Also has the advantage of good EQ and DSP if you're into those (some say the Cowon's sound dull un-EQ'd- I've found that to be the case a little some IEMs, but I think, maybe because of 2000J's brightness they don't really exhibit that problem).

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 5
I think you will be happy with your smartphone and something like Fiio iAmp3. But it would be released in September :frowning2:

I am pretty sure that in next months a lot of new devices like this will be released.

In my opinion they will be a win in quality and portability.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 5
Already a bunch of small dongles like that, though I think most need the camera connector kit to work with Apple iThings- cool they're finally getting Apple on board with that new one.

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Hey,
Went with a zxperia z3 that I found for £100, as I have heard good things about the audio and I need another phone for one or two reasons.
Figured if im still not happy, which is likely, I will go a and get an e18 or something simalar at some point down the line, or in about 5 mins time knowing me or a fiio x3 which can be used as a dac/amp aswell as on its on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back