DAP or DAC/Amp
Dec 13, 2017 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sandrett

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! I'm writing because my Sansa Clip+ is broken and I need a new device. I don't know if it's better to buy a DAP(Fiio X1 or Xduoo X3 or something similar) or a DAC/Amp to use with my Huawei P9 Plus. The problem is the portability of this system. I was also thinking about the Fiio BTR1, but I'm not convinced about the Bluetooth transmission and about the amp power. I would use it with 1More Triple Driver and Superlux HD 681 Evo. In term of audio quality, do you think Fiio X1 is better? Every suggestion is welcomed but I have to stay in the same price range. Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 18
I'd just use my phone, seems like less of a hassle and it isn't like the 1More Triple are super insensitive. Unless your phone is plagued with noise, high impedance, etc I don't really see the need.

If you really want a separate DAC/Amp/DAP though, I'd personally recommend going with a DAC/Amp but that's more for convinence sake.

Assuming your budget is the price of the X1, something like the Fiio Q1 would work relatively well. You could go for the Q1 mkii but you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of it unless you have a balanced cable.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 18
I'd just use my phone, seems like less of a hassle and it isn't like the 1More Triple are super insensitive. Unless your phone is plagued with noise, high impedance, etc I don't really see the need.

If you really want a separate DAC/Amp/DAP though, I'd personally recommend going with a DAC/Amp but that's more for convinence sake.

Assuming your budget is the price of the X1, something like the Fiio Q1 would work relatively well. You could go for the Q1 mkii but you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of it unless you have a balanced cable.
I'm not satisfied about my phone... The volume is too low, my Sansa Clip+ worked a lot better. The Fiio Q1 is a good option, but I'm not sure about the portability. Do you think I will get better results with smartphone + Q1 or with Xduoo X3/Fiio X1? If the improvement given by the external DAC is really sensible, I will probably take it. If the DAP gives me similar quality, I would probably prefer it.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 18
I'm not satisfied about my phone... The volume is too low, my Sansa Clip+ worked a lot better. The Fiio Q1 is a good option, but I'm not sure about the portability. Do you think I will get better results with smartphone + Q1 or with Xduoo X3/Fiio X1? If the improvement given by the external DAC is really sensible, I will probably take it. If the DAP gives me similar quality, I would probably prefer it.
I'd say you'd get similar results with either choice. I'm personally not a fan of carrying a bunch of devices in my pocket, having multiple playlist on multiple devices and having to move my entire library onto more than one device, hence my preference to use a smartphone, but if you find a DAP more convenient, then by all means go for one!

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 18
Hi guys! I'm writing because my Sansa Clip+ is broken and I need a new device. I don't know if it's better to buy a DAP(Fiio X1 or Xduoo X3 or something similar) or a DAC/Amp to use with my Huawei P9 Plus. The problem is the portability of this system. I was also thinking about the Fiio BTR1, but I'm not convinced about the Bluetooth transmission and about the amp power. I would use it with 1More Triple Driver and Superlux HD 681 Evo. In term of audio quality, do you think Fiio X1 is better? Every suggestion is welcomed but I have to stay in the same price range. Thank you guys!
I would go for the FiiO X1 or Xduoo X3, this way you save the battery charge on the phone.
The Xduoo X3 will work with the Rockbox firmware.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/

Dec 16, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 18
I would go for the FiiO X1 or Xduoo X3, this way you save the battery charge on the phone.
The Xduoo X3 will work with the Rockbox firmware.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/
I'm thinking that a DAP is the best option for me, I want to use it also in the gym. Xduoo X3 seems to be good, but I'm not so convinced about the software. Probably it will be better with Rockbox but I red that it has problems reproducing 24 bit Flac. Is it right?
I'm also thinking about an extra budget for the Fiio X3...

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 18
I'm thinking that a DAP is the best option for me, I want to use it also in the gym. Xduoo X3 seems to be good, but I'm not so convinced about the software. Probably it will be better with Rockbox but I red that it has problems reproducing 24 bit Flac. Is it right?
I'm also thinking about an extra budget for the Fiio X3...
I'm not the expert on Rockbox, so no idea on the 24-bit FLAC issue.
For the kind of money you would spend for the FiiO X3 you could buy better headphones, unless you find a really good deal on the FiiO X3 :)
Also the Xduoo X3 uses the same DAC chip as the FiiO X3

Dec 16, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 18
Hi guys! I'm writing because my Sansa Clip+ is broken and I need a new device. I don't know if it's better to buy a DAP(Fiio X1 or Xduoo X3 or something similar) or a DAC/Amp to use with my Huawei P9 Plus. The problem is the portability of this system.

You can have a DAP and the phone in separate pockets, but the DAC-HPamp would usually need to be strapped onto the phone because of the cable.

If you can wait around for the Fiio Q5 Pro, I think that has BT for mobile use, then just use a wired connection when you're on a desk. There's another brand that has a cheaper BT DAC-HPamp but they stopped making it - what a shame since it was less than $60.

I was also thinking about the Fiio BTR1, but I'm not convinced about the Bluetooth transmission and about the amp power. I would use it with 1More Triple Driver and Superlux HD 681 Evo. In term of audio quality, do you think Fiio X1 is better? Every suggestion is welcomed but I have to stay in the same price range. Thank you guys!

X1 has way more power than the BTR1 for the 681Evo. Not necessarily necessary to have as much power for the 1More though.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 18
Wow this would be perfect, thank you! Out of budget but I will think about it.. It has everything I need.
Check out the website anythingbutipod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back