DAP mW specs thread
Jan 1, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #31 of 40
I don't think these number show or prove anything!

I will explain why later but I gotta go sleep now
tongue.gif

Bottom line, there are many values you should take into account when considering the real "power" of your mp3 player not just mW. There are several values you should calculate... I will try to get you the source.

I have listened to several mp3 players and none of their mW advertised numbers were comparable to real life tests.

Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

Happy New Year everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think these number show or prove anything!

I will explain why later but I gotta go sleep now
tongue.gif

Bottom line, there are many values you should take into account when considering the real "power" of your mp3 player not just mW. There are several values you should calculate... I will try to get you the source.

I have listened to several mp3 players and none of their mW advertised numbers were comparable to real life tests.

Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

Happy New Year everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy New Year to you also.

They do show something, at the very least the advertised mW specs. As for proving anything, no, the thread wasn't meant to prove anything.

Just the home integrated amps, power ratings are subjective depending greatly on manufacturer (Sony's 90watts aren't the same as NAD's 90!).

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some more to add (Samsung)

Samsung YP-Z5(F) - 22mW
Samsung YP-U2 - 20mW
Samsung YP-T9 - 20mW
Samsung YP-K5 - 10mW
Samsung YH-J70 - 12mW
Samsung YH-925 - 12mW

Cheers

edit:
Trekstor Vibez - 7.2mW @ 27Ohm which is about 12mW @ 16Ohm

Samsung YH-J70 is not 12mw, it's 20mw (16Ohm), and i'm not sure about the other Samsungs. I looked it up from the official pdf file from Samsung's site, and abaune i don't know why you add them before confirming they are right.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by minscnboo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....and abaune i don't know why you add them before confirming they are right.

Well that's easy to answer. I started this thread as a reference point, not an exhaustive scientific treatise. As I did with the prior information posted concerning YH-J70 from another member, so now too I am going to do with the info you have provided.

I'll post your info just as soon as I get off the phone, I've got the CEO of Samsung on the line making sure your info is spot on!
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #37 of 40
I'm wondering where you got the numbers for the Creative Zen V Plus and Nano Plus. I can't find the info anywhere, guess Creative is too ashamed to mention it... They do mention the *headphone jacks* are rated for 5-7mW
smily_headphones1.gif
I have read somewhere they put out 6mW/ch @ 16 ohms, and I'd believe it because they are fairly lame drivers (especially the ZV+). Thanks.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfraser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering where you got the numbers for the Creative Zen V Plus and Nano Plus. I can't find the info anywhere, guess Creative is too ashamed to mention it... They do mention the *headphone jacks* are rated for 5-7mW
smily_headphones1.gif
I have read somewhere they put out 6mW/ch @ 16 ohms, and I'd believe it because they are fairly lame drivers (especially the ZV+). Thanks.

Well, it's been a while since I posted that info so I can't rightly remember. However, as a couple people have mentioned in this thread, it looks like the rating for those players is at 32ohms, so at 16 the rating is roughly doubled.

Could be wrong though.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #39 of 40
^ Yeah, I've seen that info. Nothing about the actual amp output (though you can assume that's what they mean by jack rating, probably not unreasonable).

But: power output rating has nothing to do with impedance of the phones. It is an overall measure of the combined voltage/current output ability. Theoretically, if all were perfect, impedance would not play into it. Unfortunately, audio amps aren't perfect current or voltage sources, so power output rating is mostly just useful for comparison, means practically nothing by itself. As others have pointed out... Useful for figgering out if it'll likely drive your phones without kacking, but how well is another matter. So basically it's trial and error, still the numbers are a good starting point.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #40 of 40
I'd say that the differences in output power between the various codecs used in players are far smaller than those imposed by their firmware.
Volume-capped players aren't uncommon after all, and those might have like 10 dB less output - which makes 10 mW into 16 ohms shrink to a fairly modest 1 mW, and a medium-impedance headphone might even be limited to something around 0.1 mW. With moderately efficient fullsize cans and e.g. classical recordings, this may be tight.
I'm under the impression that some players even are more badly capped still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back