DAP: How to manage & search SD cards?
Apr 25, 2015 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

miguelito

Head-Fier
I have a Sony NW-ZX2 and Noble K10 custom. This is a heavenly combination.

I also have enough music that I cannot fit it in 128gb (internal) + 128gb (microSD card). So I have multiple microSD cards.

What I would like it two-fold:

1- A means of putting content on SD cards. File copying obviously works, but having now 6 SD cards plus the internal 128gb, I loose track of where stuff is. I am starting to use custom tags in OS X to know where stuff is copied to, but this is a bit cumbersome. Would like something more streamlined. Tried using JRMC 20, but it's not "sleek" in the least to put it mildly.

2- A method to have a catalog of all the music in these SD cards that I can peruse on the Sony (it is a fully fledged android device) or alternatively on my iPhone. So for example if I am looking for "Moby" I would like to know that it is in my microSD card #6 say. Then I can pop that into the player and listen to it.

Makes sense?

Anyone with solutions to these?

Thx a lot!

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 13
What I would really really like is that the music database in the Sony be able to read all my cards, and when I try to play something that is not accessible it would tell me that "I need SD card 4" to play the requested tracks. Wouldn't that be incredible?!

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 13
I've been thinking a lot about it as well -- 
http://wfnk.com/blog/2015/03/the-ultimate-final-digital-music-collection/

May 2, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 13
  I also have enough music that I cannot fit it in 128gb (internal) + 128gb (microSD card). So I have multiple microSD cards.

1- A means of putting content on SD cards. File copying obviously works, but having now 6 SD cards plus the internal 128gb, I loose track of where stuff is. I am starting to use custom tags in OS X to know where stuff is copied to, but this is a bit cumbersome. Would like something more streamlined. Tried using JRMC 20, but it's not "sleek" in the least to put it mildly.

2- A method to have a catalog of all the music in these SD cards that I can peruse on the Sony (it is a fully fledged android device) or alternatively on my iPhone. So for example if I am looking for "Moby" I would like to know that it is in my microSD card #6 say. Then I can pop that into the player and listen to it.

Makes sense?

Thx a lot!

1. storage for the micro SD cards - these hold 8 cards -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ANNF8VK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I can confirm that they are, indeed, credit card sized (although slightly thicker) and they will fit into a standard credit card wallet slot, so wherever your money goes, your music goes. 

2. Divide up your collection in alpha order by artist.  Card 1 gets A-C, Card 2 D-F, Card 3 G-I etc etc

I'm not there yet, need to get more cards, but that's my plan.....

May 4, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 13

1. storage for the micro SD cards - these hold 8 cards -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ANNF8VK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I can confirm that they are, indeed, credit card sized (although slightly thicker) and they will fit into a standard credit card wallet slot, so wherever your money goes, your music goes. 

2. Divide up your collection in alpha order by artist.  Card 1 gets A-C, Card 2 D-F, Card 3 G-I etc etc

I'm not there yet, need to get more cards, but that's my plan.....

I'm going with a random mix of artists on each card, and I'm trying to put everything by that artists on that card (short of compilations).

So far I'm fitting about 70 artists per 64gb card, since I own 1-10 releases per artist.

My goal for mixing them up is to always have a huge variety of music loaded up. I don't want to lock into A-C artists only, or R-T, or have to think about what is where once it's loaded up.

I'm using the internal PP storage as sort of a "favorites" list, rotating things in and out of there that I always want loaded.

Then I just grab a card and with the two combined have about 400 albums/140 artists on the PP at any given time, covering all genres, eras and alphabetical initials.

May 4, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 13

I have 5x64gb sd cards (microSD to be precise) + 1x128gb sd + 128 internal (ZX2). I am mostly putting whatever I listen to the most at the moment in the 128 internal + 128 sd, and then I have fragmented the 64gb sd cards by genre (classical, jazz, blues, pop, techno), where these contain stuff that I am interested in but don't necessarily listen to constantly.

My issue is mostly how to quickly manage the content around (the above is not nearly my entire library).

I think I have settled for JRMC 20 with FLAC conversion (including DSD). I do this by having playlists for each "handheld" (which is each sd card and the ZX2). I don't have this ironed out yet.

Has this worked alright for people?

Thx

May 5, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 13
  I have a Sony NW-ZX2 and Noble K10 custom. This is a heavenly combination.

Makes sense?

Thx a lot!

I have the same problem

I have found, over the years, the best way is to make a spreadsheet with all albums listed and numbered (according to purchase or acquisition date). Put the albums into numbered folders on your pc drive, then add the folders to your numbered SD cards sequentially, thus albums 1-250 or whatever would be on card 1. Then make a note which albums are on which card on your spreadsheet also, then you can easily cross reference which albums are on which cards.

The beauty of this system is that once a card is full , that's it... the archive is done, move onto the next. I have had similar problems with hard drives over the years, and SD cards are the same, just relatively smaller. 

You can keep a copy of your spreadsheet on your phone, even, so you can have access to it wherever you go. Hope this helps. 

May 5, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 13
USB buss speed is the new bottleneck.

I had 4 cards mounted the other day - 1 in USB sled, 1 in SD sled, and 2 in ponoplayer. 

I fired up multiple copy processes going all directions and it started to choke. The entire operation took 20 minutes to complete, but if I would have done them 1 at a time it would have been complete in half that time.

This is on an old macbook pro  2.36ghz core 2 duo with 8gb RAM and SSD drive running OS X 10.9.5. Not sure what spec to check for this particular bottleneck. My system report says these are Hi-speed Bus' up to 470/mb sec but I know I'm not seeing that with various copies.

May 6, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 13
I have the same problem. 

I didn't like alphabetical, because for me if I'm in the mood for a certain type of music why should I switch through different cards? Random doesn't work either because I won't be able to find what I'm looking for. I decided to go with genre for mine, because it will mean less switching and I'll know which card has everything. 

I mostly listen to metal so I did this:
128 gb Card 1- traditional, power, progressive metal (this one is almost full, so I may need to split it between two at some point...not sure yet how I'd work that) 
128gb Card 2- death, black, thrash, folk 
64gb Card 3 - rock, instrumental, punk, classical and "other"
64gb card 4- "top ten" I created this card of some of my favorite bands that have HUGE discogs like Iron Maiden and Dream Theater. 

So far it's working well for me, but it definitely wouldn't work for everyone....if you have large collection with HUGE variance this way is probably a bad idea. I have a pretty large variance, but probably 80% of what I have is some type of metal with the other 20% being classical, punk, contemporary, oldies, blues etc that can fit on one smaller card. 

May 7, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 13
Hobbes, I think it odd you keep death, thrash on the same card as folk...that's just me. Very eclectic.

But anyway, I tried this and it seems to be working or me. I keep the well known songs and such and one card and use another with deep cuts and then another with a mix of both. That way I can vary depending if I want to hear 'hits' or some unusual tracks... Just a suggestion.

May 14, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 13
The genre thing just doesn't cut it for me, not just cause I listen to a pretty wide spectrum of styles, but because a lot of the artists i really love defy easy categorization. the genre-bending bands have always attracted me so I can't use that system.

I am currently going with a random-artist mix per card, and putting the entire catalog of that artist on that card. Each card has different artists from A-Z. I'm putting my core/favorite artists on the internal ponoplayer card.

So I always have a wide variety of stuff loaded as well as my favorites. That's all good. Not having the card that something is on, and knowing what it's on in the first place, are the only detriments to this system so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back