DAP history so short. Why are people getting it wrong?
May 1, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #31 of 32
LostPhil, as you stated your personal experience could be countered with others. Either my move from Sony cassette to forgetting about portable audio to Sony MD to Creative Nomad Jukebox to Apple iPod - whose first glimpse I still remember and resulted a few months later with my buying a Mac (which I hadn't touched since '85) to run it... to others, likely younger, who can't remember a period when the iPod didn't 'strangle' the market.

And I'm sympathetic to the plight of 'dumbing down players,' but I neither think the Rio corp dying or the iRiver toslink removal (again not a single player going this route since?) was solely due to expense of features. It's certainly true there's economy of scale and I'm sure the iPods expanding marketshare had impact (the first couple years Apple effectively took the entire supply of Toshiba 1.8" drives, but iRiver/Creative just went larger). You have to though realize how quickly the marketplace itself was expanding (which is only now slowing) so there was room for others. It may be my proximity to a major US city and tech capital, but I've seen iRiver billboards. Creative had retail stores in the shape of Cambridge Soundworks brick and mortars. And every electronic store had a wide selection of competition. Sure iAudio and the like were hard to find, but did anyone really have to hunt to find a Creative player at Walmart, etc.? Rios were at Fry's, Best Buys, Circuit Citys, etc. And that's just the U.S. There were plenty of technology focused countries where the iPod was much slower to grow. But the iPod has now saturated the market. Along with MS undercutting its partners (at least as damning), it is sad that competition has greatly fallen off.

Advertising likely did create a general Kleenex effect of equating iPod with MP3 player and that surely drove the general public, but that takes time. Apple, a company that made computers remember, ramped up quickly. You don't get to the critical mass without struggle. And besides it's important to remember this whole market was Sonys to win or lose. They chose the latter after ruling portable audio for decades. Apple ran further with their Rip. Mix. Burn. philosophy (to the chagrin of the labels) and the rest is history. I really don't think the market could have been created, and certainly not as quickly, if there was no iPod. I think you're most wrong saying it was nothing to do with software integration. Tell that to a Sony SonicStage user and see if they hesitate recommending it to a friend. It had much to do with software integration (I'll give shiny metal, flashy ads, and a general Apple hipness some credit too as you've mentioned). Other manufacturers started copying every feature (and sure Apple did in reverse) except foolishly iTunes. They either slapped something together or lazily (or were afraid of offending MS) used WMP (and keep in mind MS funding DAP R&D and only entered the market after 'others failed'). Steve Jobs says the smartest move they made was putting the file controls on the desktop, not the player, which then became an appliance (like the vast majority of audio equipment). Maybe confirming your dumb-down theory. Maybe a smart design move which possibly was counter-intuitive for a computer company. We're seeing how those decisions play out especially with the iPhone and touch now.

Indeed it took awhile for gapless to show and many players had it earlier (and the iPod still not a user customizable EQ), and while Apple isn't altruistic with introducing features, line-out and lossless codec support were added to increase marketshare (including third party devices to help drive more iPod sales). Not after the market was already saturated. Suddenly the iPod had audiophile cred when speaker manufactures started testing their wares with iPods and Stereophile reviews it. There were plenty of (and still are) WMA/MP3 only players on the market.

And finally on the codec front, lets balance the lack of Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Dvix/XviD criticism (which I want too), with the fact that aside of general DRM issues (which is a whole other thread) and ALAC (which as many have pointed out may have to do with Airport Express - and eventual Apple TV - transmission legalities), Apple instead of creating their own WMA/WMV, went with open standards of MP3 and AAC wrapped MPEG4 audio and later MPEG4 & H.264 video. One of the many mistakes people make in the early days was stating AAC was somehow created or owned/controlled by Apple. And if people feel locked into AAC, after Sony - one of originators, but slow to bump ATRAC on DAPs - and Microsoft have support, what if other manufactures had to go to Apple to license an alternative? Remember in the past most peoples previous default software player, WMP, didn't even come with a MP3 encoder.

I know my commentary is Apple only. Listen, I love Sonys warm signature. I'd like a Rio parametric EQ. Having a iRiver Toslink out would be high on my list of requests. But nobody forgets those traits. If anything we've got romantic MD users, Karmas perceived SQ instantly went up when discontinued, and the iHPs still command top dollar. As others have pointed out, bashing the marketplace leader is natural. Maybe best to bump against that natural tendency once in a while with a reminder though.

May 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #32 of 32
Thanks for the comprehensive reply blessingx! I've actually learnt quite a lot from all of this, the Sony article on Wired was particularly interesting since I used to use the launchcast service mentioned in there.

I think "dumbing down" was a bit crude, maybe "concentrating on making players more attractive to the general public rather than concentrating on improving audio playback features/quality" would've been better!
smily_headphones1.gif

Credit where credits due I guess but it is purely down to them being the only company who can actually make sensible decisions rather than innovate in any way. Making something popular doesn't necessarily make things better IMO so I'll keep my credit to the use of open standard codecs and gapless.

I still feel reluctant to give any to a company that's hipocritical and arrogant though. Personal opinion of course.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phil, I was not trying to be ugly but even after your last post I see here I feel you still missed the point Blessing was putting into his initial post.

From what I could see, there were two parts to the initial post.
1) People regularly get parts of the iPods history wrong. I agree but as I said in my second post, I don't see this too much and if I do, it's usually off topic and in a general rant against iPods which are just laughed at by me and probably quite a few others. Whether I'm just reading the wrong threads or something, I don't know. Oh and I must be the only person to think that it's quite odd that we argue over specifics of the history of the market rather than looking forward.

2) Not enough credit is given to the iPod for the size/state of the market today. What I explained in my last post was why I personally didn't see any reason to give Apple any particular credit and why other people here might feel the same way. So I can't see why this would be missing the point?

My first post is way off but I felt like I needed to say that if someone doesn't have an iPod, that in no way makes them a "hater" automatically. It's off topic really but it just seems as though people have to be seen as hating a product if they own something other than the popular choice. Hence why I was quite irritated in that post you've just quoted - moreso at Gigantoid although the Pepsi generation comment didn't help
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back