DAP hiss
Jul 30, 2007 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

null infinity

Banned
This may be adumb question, but does DAP hiss go away if you run a line out and a decent amp? I am going to be building a portable setup and I mostly listen to ambient, so absolute silence is a must.

Recommendations?

~null

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 9
Yes, and it also can be headphone out. If the hiss doesn't go up with volume, then you should be able to just take the loudest parts.

noisevx5.jpg

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 9
Line-out is the cleanest output. Listening to it purely out of my gigabeat's dock with no amp is ok, but it's really quiet :|

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 9
every dap i have used in conjunction with amplifier have taken the hiss down considerably to null. naturally, the portable amplifier you use will have its own noise however, it will be so much less than any dap. my atrio m5 do not hiss with my supermicro, but um2 did slightly.

minidisk players do not hiss at all.

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the line out on my NW-HD5 is usless without an amp, everything sounds artifacted for some reason

That's because line-out shouldn't be connected directly to the transducer!

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by null infinity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may be adumb question, but does DAP hiss go away if you run a line out and a decent amp? I am going to be building a portable setup and I mostly listen to ambient, so absolute silence is a must.

Recommendations?

~null

Not a dumb question at all. Impedance mis-matches and source/amp/headphone synnergy is one of the most complicated & mis-understood topics on head-fi. Add inter-connect cable capacitance and OP-amp rolling to the mix and you've got a full blown case of heaf-fi craziness on your hands.

Hiss will NOT go away if the amp you are adding is a high gain or poorly designed circuit for the impedance load presented by your particular headphones/IEMs. Contrary to popular myth... adding such an amp may even increase hiss and noise, relative to the headphone output by itself.

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a dumb question at all. Impedance mis-matches and source/amp/headphone synnergy is one of the most complicated & mis-understood topics on head-fi. Add inter-connect cable capacitance and OP-amp rolling to the mix and you've got a full blown case of heaf-fi craziness on your hands.

Hiss will NOT go away if the amp you are adding is a high gain or poorly designed circuit for the impedance load presented by your particular headphones/IEMs. Contrary to popular myth... adding such an amp may even increase hiss and noise, relative to the headphone output by itself.

Thanks for the great reponse, I currently only have a crappy Sony 1gig DAP and it has a small amount of hiss, as I imagine most DAPs do. I listen at fairly low volumes and hiss drives me nuts (even worse hearing the mouse moving on my PC, or the processor clicks!). So, my plan is to buy a decent DAP with a line out (undecided), run a DIY interconnect using StarQuad and some shielded plugs, and a good amp. I am currently shopping for IEMs and would like the amp to be versitile enough to drive mid-range IEMs and a full size phone (IEMs being the priority).

A built in DAC would be a bonus, but only if it eliminates the transmission of PC noise - otherwise it would limit my choice of amps too much to be worth it.

Kramer - I made a thread about IEMs in the headphone forum, and seeing as your somewhat of a guru, I'd like your input. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252904

~null

Users who are viewing this thread

Back