DAP for metal?
Feb 14, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 19
  DAP for metal?

I'm using a DX90 currently with my DN2000j.

Why would you think the DX90 is more of a problem than the DN2000J? What exactly do you dislike about this system?

Any suggestions?

I use a Samsung Note3 running Neutron Music Player (which has an excellent parametric EQ; otherwise I use Adapt Sound auto-EQ tuning with Spotify) driving the 125dB/1mW sensitivity Aurisonics ASG-1.3.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 19
I don't know! I heard the DN2000j is one of the "best" IEM's for metal considering for that price

And it didn't sound as good as you thought it would? What is the sound to you now? Good or bad? Too much bass, or too much treble? Changing a DAP is not usually as effective as changing the IEMs.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 19
So you basically like your setup, but I'm guessing that you want to push the boundaries of good sound further to see what you're missing out on? Definitely, like ProtegeManiac says, you'll get better results changing IEM's than DAP's. Perhaps a v-shaped sound with strong bass and treble and a narrow soundstage but good detail is the right direction in general to go in for metal music? I'm not familiar with IEM's so I can't make any specific suggestions.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 19
Oops gave bad advice about the sound signature that's ideal for metal (that's why they sometimes call me FumblingFool :p). NOT v-shaped but, "What I want from a metal headphone is a gentle downward slope – slightly elevated bass to help bring out as much of the usually squashed kick drum and bass guitar as possible, a flat midrange so that the guitars and vocals are front and center, and slightly curtailed treble response to reduce the artifacts from less than stellar recordings."

Here's where I got the info, a good read:

http://www.metal-fi.com/headphone-breakdown/

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 19
  It's fine~ Thanks for the link :) More into IEM's instead of headphones

Doesn't matter, the sound characteristics can still apply. What was described there is a lot like the HD650, and as far as IEMs go, the Aurisonics ASG-1.3. Alternatives for it are NOS Aurisonics Kicker or its rebadge, the Fender FXA-2, although these have a slight treble spike that the older ASG series didn't. Nothing EQ can't fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back