DAP For Focal Elegia and Bathys
Jul 29, 2023 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RenoGu

Head-Fier
Hi

Looking for recommendations on a DAP the more I research the more I get confused as to what is the best option.

My library is entirely on Apple Music so I need it it to work with it. My main two headphones to be used are the Focals , specifically the Bathys to support better audio codecs than with my iPhone. Some other headphones I have are grados and Hifiman he-x4. Audeze lcd-2c is being shipped to me so I will also use it also with the dap.

I thought the hiby r6 iii might be a good choice but been reading of screen issues, so not sure if a FiiO might be a better option. Tops budget is $600 since it will not be my main system is just for on the go.

hope anyone with DAP experience and knowledge can help me out.

cheers

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 7
The LCD-2 is fairly power hungry, so using it with a DAP will significantly limit your options. Grados are fairly easy to drive, as isthe Elegia, and the Bathys are obviously self-powered.

Jul 29, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 7
The LCD-2 is fairly power hungry, so using it with a DAP will significantly limit your options. Grados are fairly easy to drive, as isthe Elegia, and the Bathys are obviously self-powered.
Yes you are right I might need to get the LCD-2 out of this equation and just use the DAP for the others and some IEMs which I have no problem powering right now with a BTR5.

Jul 31, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 7
I use my FiiO M11 Pro (AK4497) to drive my Elegias. A good match.
I trialed the Bathys over Bluetooth from the M11Pro. They seemed to have more of a bass emphasis.

For your use case, you may want to look at the used market. I prefer the AK DAC house sound.

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 7
I use my FiiO M11 Pro (AK4497) to drive my Elegias. A good match.
I trialed the Bathys over Bluetooth from the M11Pro. They seemed to have more of a bass emphasis.

For your use case, you may want to look at the used market. I prefer the AK DAC house sound.
Thank you .

I will look into the used market of A&K . However the fiio look tempting for my use case. It might be more than enough.

Sep 8, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Thank you .

I will look into the used market of A&K . However the fiio look tempting for my use case. It might be more than enough.
To clarify, I was referring to the AshaiKasei (AKM) DAC, not Astell&Kern DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back