DAP "burn-in"
Feb 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

thwood3

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I just had what seemed to be the experience of DAP burn-in. Got one of the 8GB clips for $49 at Walmart over the weekend and it sounded like poop at first. I started to suspect a Sansa-Walmart conspiracy to unload crappy chips in these cheapo clips. But after a few hours the 8GB clip seemed to reform itself and assume the well appreciated and familiar sound signature of the almighty clip. It's more open, detailed, and dynamic now.

Do I need to put down the crack pipe or did I just hear a clip burn-in? The IEMs have a lot of time on them so that wasn't the issue. Stereo salesmen, back in the day, used to talk about component burn-in all the time but I always thought it had to be hogwash. But the clip experience was pretty uncanny. There certainly seems to be something to headphone burn-in, but they involve moving parts and friction. Do those little electron buggers groove out a path through chips and PC boards too (in the same way that drivers settle in)?

Perhaps I just turned up the volume enough to notice the sound open up, etc.? Out of curiosity and in the interest of stirring the pot, I ask you all if DAP burn-in is real? Sorry if this has been covered before.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 2
I can't say I remeber hearing a DAP change due to burn-in, but I know I've heard amps burn-in and change within the first 24 hours of use. My only theory is that if the capacitors have been sitting on the shelf a while, the chemicals in them may have to rearrange or loosen up or sumptin' to start sounding right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back