DAP Balanced Output Into Home Stereo Help?
Nov 28, 2018 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

steelgtr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm expecting my first DAP and it has a 2.5 mm balanced output jack. I want to use this output to connect to my very nice home stereo. I wanted balanced out vs. HF out because I heard that the output was higher which I assumed would be closer to connecting a CD player etc into the stereo.

This what I have coming to complete the connection:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXXRFM5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5H8M18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please let me know if this is the right way to achieve this?

thx

bob

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 16
If your home stereo doesn’t have 3 pin xlr inputs I doubt you can go balanced don’t know all the new ones but I doubt it. You can damage your dap if you don’t have a balanced input to send it to rca connections are not balanced.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 16
I'm expecting my first DAP and it has a 2.5 mm balanced output jack. I want to use this output to connect to my very nice home stereo. I wanted balanced out vs. HF out because I heard that the output was higher which I assumed would be closer to connecting a CD player etc into the stereo.

A CDP has a line output at 2Volts as per Redbook standard.

Your DAP likely has only headphone outputs, balanced or not. Most home audio amplifiers actually use single ended circuits with a shared ground for both channels.

So technically unless that is a very low power, voltage-limited DAP, it can still supply 2V like a CDP or wall powered DAC would, but you're still running the signal from its DAC chip into the output stage chips then through the headphone amplification chips. Balanced or not, it's not like a CDP.

If your DAP has a single ended line out I'd much rather use that even if it only does 1.5V than use an amplified headphone output.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 16
Hi @steelgtr,

As @buke9 & @ProtegeManaic have already stated, essentially, just stick with Single Ended output for both safety reasons & sonically, out a decent home stereo, you're not going to really notice...

Great work as usual, lads. keep it up ! :)

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 16

No line out port. Manual won't load but unless it has a software switch to make either SE or balanced headphone output function as line output you won't have a real line out. Signal still goes through headphone amplification stage. That's practically kind of a high level output, not the line level output, except the output level might be a bit neutered given it runs off a battery,

Also note that at best you're using a balanced preamp for safety reasons since the ground will be split, but as far as the DAP is concerned, it isn't running a balanced line signal with R+, R-, RGND and L+, L-, and LGND. You just have separate ground on each channel, ie, R+, R-/GND and L+, L-/GND.

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks, Guys

This is the DAP I am getting:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/High-Resolution+Audio/XDP-30R-B

And thanks for the heads up. My Carver Preamp now does not have XLR's but I just freed up this Mcintosh and might try it:

http://img.aussieaudiomart.com/uplo...9-preamp-amazing-value-incl-phono-and-dac.jpg
No line out port. Manual won't load but unless it has a software switch to make either SE or balanced headphone output function as line output you won't have a real line out. Signal still goes through headphone amplification stage. That's practically kind of a high level output, not the line level output, except the output level might be a bit neutered given it runs off a battery,

Also note that at best you're using a balanced preamp for safety reasons since the ground will be split, but as far as the DAP is concerned, it isn't running a balanced line signal with R+, R-, RGND and L+, L-, and LGND. You just have separate ground on each channel, ie, R+, R-/GND and L+, L-/GND.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/XDP-30R_top_171221_web.pdf

You can connect a headphone amplifier or
D/A converter, for example, that has line
input. You will need a headphone plug
(commercially available) to connect to this
unit. Make sure you have the correct type
of headphone plug for the jack of the
device you are connecting.
Connecting a device
1. Connect the device to this unit through
the headphone jack.
2. Turn on the power of this unit, and select
"Line Out" in the home screen to turn
Line Out on. "Line Out" is displayed on
the status bar on the screen when this is
on.
0 When "Line Out" is on, output through
the headphone jack is at maximum
volume, so do not use headphones.
Adjust the volume on the connected
device.
>
∫ Balanced Output Select
Use when balanced headphones are to be connected.
"Balanced (default value)": Compared to the normal single-ended operation, you can get a
larger output and the high voltage is not grounded together with the small signal, so you can
anticipate a superior effect in the quality of the music. Because you get a larger output, you
can drive headphones with a higher impedance.
"ACG": The basic operating method is the same as Balanced (mode), but uses technology
to even more forcefully fix grounding standards, so you can enjoy a sound quality with
improved clarity and stability than Balanced (mode). Output volume is the same as the
regular single-ended operation, however.
0 This unit does not support simultaneous use of the balanced headphone jack and the
headphone jack. Using both jacks at the same time may result in damage.
∫ Line Out Mode
"On": Switch the headphone output to the line output mode to connect external equipment.
When "Line Out Mode" is on, output through the headphone jack is at maximum volume, so
do not use headphones. Adjust the volume on the connected device.
0 When turned on for European models, you can then select either "Fixed (default value)"

or "Variable". When "Variable" is selected, volume can be adjusted on this unit. If you
select "Fixed", adjust the volume on the connected external device.
"Off (default value)": Line output is not enabled
∫ Audio
Gain: You can select the headphone output level to suit your headphones.
Select "High (default value)", "Normal", or "Low".
0 Lower the volume first if you intend to select "High".
0 When connecting a pair of headphones for the first time, set to "Low" and change the
volume level gradually.

Nov 29, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 16
This what I have coming to complete the connection:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXXRFM5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5H8M18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Please let me know if this is the right way to achieve this?
thx bob
What is the make and model of the DAP?
Does it have a line-output function?

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 16
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/High-Resolution+Audio/XDP-30R-B#overview
See my above post for link ans line out and balanced out info.
thx bob
It looks like the XDP-30R's headphone jack might also function as a line-output jack,
so see if the XDP-30R has a setting for changing the headphone jacks' function (from Headphone to Line-Output).
Ether way, I would still use a headphone jack, to connect to the stereo, over using the 2.5mm balanced jack.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 16
It looks like the XDP-30R's headphone jack might also function as a line-output jack,
so see if the XDP-30R has a setting for changing the headphone jacks' function (from Headphone to Line-Output).
Ether way, I would still use a headphone jack, to connect to the stereo, over using the 2.5mm balanced jack.

Yes, it does.

I will try that first when it arrives Monday :)

thx

bob

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks, Guys

This is the DAP I am getting:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/High-Resolution+Audio/XDP-30R-B

And thanks for the heads up. My Carver Preamp now does not have XLR's but I just freed up this Mcintosh and might try it:

http://img.aussieaudiomart.com/uplo...9-preamp-amazing-value-incl-phono-and-dac.jpg

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/XDP-30R_top_171221_web.pdf

You can connect a headphone amplifier or
D/A converter, for example, that has line
input. You will need a headphone plug
(commercially available) to connect to this
unit. Make sure you have the correct type
of headphone plug for the jack of the
device you are connecting.
Connecting a device
1. Connect the device to this unit through
the headphone jack.
2. Turn on the power of this unit, and select
"Line Out" in the home screen to turn
Line Out on. "Line Out" is displayed on
the status bar on the screen when this is
on.
0 When "Line Out" is on, output through
the headphone jack is at maximum
volume, so do not use headphones.
Adjust the volume on the connected
device.
>
∫ Balanced Output Select
Use when balanced headphones are to be connected.
"Balanced (default value)": Compared to the normal single-ended operation, you can get a
larger output and the high voltage is not grounded together with the small signal, so you can
anticipate a superior effect in the quality of the music. Because you get a larger output, you
can drive headphones with a higher impedance.
"ACG": The basic operating method is the same as Balanced (mode), but uses technology
to even more forcefully fix grounding standards, so you can enjoy a sound quality with
improved clarity and stability than Balanced (mode). Output volume is the same as the
regular single-ended operation, however.
0 This unit does not support simultaneous use of the balanced headphone jack and the
headphone jack. Using both jacks at the same time may result in damage.
∫ Line Out Mode
"On": Switch the headphone output to the line output mode to connect external equipment.
When "Line Out Mode" is on, output through the headphone jack is at maximum volume, so
do not use headphones. Adjust the volume on the connected device.
0 When turned on for European models, you can then select either "Fixed (default value)"

or "Variable". When "Variable" is selected, volume can be adjusted on this unit. If you
select "Fixed", adjust the volume on the connected external device.
"Off (default value)": Line output is not enabled
∫ Audio
Gain: You can select the headphone output level to suit your headphones.
Select "High (default value)", "Normal", or "Low".
0 Lower the volume first if you intend to select "High".
0 When connecting a pair of headphones for the first time, set to "Low" and change the
volume level gradually.

Alright, just set it to line out, but double check with Carver too and make sure the preamp has separate GND for L and R because I have no idea what will happen if the DAP's separate GND channels end up getting joined at the preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back