DAP advice for bose QC25
Apr 22, 2016 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cazone

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all.

I just got a Bose QC25 as a bonus for hundreds of hours spent on the train.
The main idea behind this choice was the noise cancelling system and so relax better during all those trips. Also, the earphones were available. Today I use the headphones with the IPhone 6. Or an iPad. The iPad got lots of space left but is not mine (office). The iPhone is always almost saturated. I have only a few hundred Mo of music on it.

Now, I used to listen to music a lot. At home I have a very satisfying system (Acustic Energy AE1s, audio research VT60, passive preamp, diy battery powers zero over sampling dac. And lots of vinyl)
But. I'm a brand new father to two little boys for a few months now. :) I don't sleep a lot and time for serious listening at home is equal zero. Business trips are now for recovery.

I'm an absolute newbie to DAPs.
Didn't even knew their existence a few weeks ago.
First I was thinking getting an amp or dac for the iPad. But in the end a standalone DAP is maybe the better solution.
So, I'm looking for something that works with my QC25. I'm listening to all kind of music. From classical, jazz, pop rock techno. Everything.
For the moment i saw the fiio X1 and 3ii and the ibasso DX50/80/90.
Like the design of the ibasso better.
Also, I Don't want the DAP be too good for the earphones. And around 200€ should be max.

Any advice is very welcomed !
Thank you.
Caspar

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 5
You've found most of the regular options we'd recommend. There are some others like Cayin N5, XDuoo X3, these support dual card slots like DX80. Best place to research DAPs is (obviously here) but spend some time on utube watching video reviews, you get to see the user interface in action, settings, features etc. By doing this you can come a better conclusion. FiiO X1 is pretty good for general listening, you may find its all you need, and save money in the long run.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Note that when using the ANC on the QC25 you won't be utilizing the amplifier stage of the DAP - it will still be the amplifier circuit on the headphone itself doing the work. If this is the only headphone you'll use with the DAP you might want to consider just using expandable storage on your smartphone, like a wireless HDD.

May 11, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Hello all

I went to compare the fiio X1, 3 and 5 and the ibasso DX80.
Decided to go for the X3.
The DX80 is too big for my taste. But I like the design and UI very much. The X1 is a little flimsy.
And I preferred the X3s sound too.
X5 is was a little big and expensive too.

Listening to my X3 + QC25 combo for a week now.
Sound is pretty good to me with flac, ape and wav files. MP3 is really not my thing. But can be OK on pop music.
This little machine sounds way better than my iPhone!

Noise cancelling works great on the train!
Even if there is a little background hiss.
You can listen to much lower levels and save your ears.

So far I'm really happy.

PS: I'm looking for the rubber case that was originally supplied with the X3. Or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back