Danny Elfman's Serenada Schizophrana
Nov 27, 2006 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Meyvn

Headphoneus Supremus
His first orchestral work, and in a well-advertised SACD Hybrid. Shame it isn't in the standard SACD case, but I'll live. Really enjoying it thus far; it's a bit too disorganized to be a symphony or "cantata." I think it certainly shows that classical music composition is not dead, though, and does indeed have potential for development outside the video game and movie world. I'd been thinking just the other day that I wished more people would compose; maybe now some of the modern musician virtuosi will contribute. Anyone else heard the album?

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 14
I have but I've only listened to it once so far. I'm very fond to his "Nightmare Before Christmas" soundtrack. He's come a long way from Oingo Boingo.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 14
Heard it and enjoyed it very much. I love Elfman's movie scores, so this was a real treat. I hope he keeps it up. Something that must be remembered though, is that so much of that "Elfman sound" is really due to the brilliance of Steve Bartek who does the actual orchestration.

There's another remarkable new disk of Jay Greenberg's Symphony no. 5 written when he was 13! The London Symphony performing no less and also on Sony. Maybe Sony is starting to try to revitalize the moribund classical biz by recording more contemporary composers. The LA Variations and other music by Esa Pekka Salonen is quite good too and also on Sony.

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heard it and enjoyed it very much. I love Elfman's movie scores, so this was a real treat. I hope he keeps it up. Something that must be remembered though, is that so much of that "Elfman sound" is really due to the brilliance of Steve Bartek who does the actual orchestration.

There's another remarkable new disk of Jay Greenberg's Symphony no. 5 written when he was 13! The London Symphony performing no less and also on Sony. Maybe Sony is starting to try to revitalize the moribund classical biz by recording more contemporary composers. The LA Variations and other music by Esa Pekka Salonen is quite good too and also on Sony.

Good point about Steve Bartek's orchestration - this makes the musical scores really great.

Love "Batman Returns" as well as "Seranada".

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 14
I was unaware of this. As I really loved Elfman's The Nightmare Before Christmas, I think I'll have to pick this up and give it a try.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was my favorite album of 2006. For me it's definetely his best work to date. I've listened to it a zillion times and I'm still loving it.

I listened to it for the second time this morning.

I think this is one of the best musical compositions of all time.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to it for the second time this morning.

I think this is one of the best musical compositions of all time.

Oh I can't wait! I just got it today and am about to put it in and sit down for a good listen. I'll be back with impressions later.

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Elfman's stuff but wow, did this album ever bomb on allmusic.com haha

I'll give it a go anyway.

That guy is deaf. The album is so good it's not even funny.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did this album ever bomb on allmusic.com haha

But the music forum at head-fi would never lead you astray!

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That guy is deaf. The album is so good it's not even funny.

This is Elfman/Bartek's finest work but it is a classical more than a pop work - will be rejected by most of those with pop tastes but liked by those who like classsical music composed from 1900 to the present.

Bartek's subtle and intricate orchestrations really shine in parts of Serenada - perhaps this work is more of a Bartek composition than an Elfman one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back