Dance Punk, some suggestions?
Aug 21, 2004 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

x1lexure

100+ Head-Fier
The Rapture really turns me on, what are some other bands I could get into in this genre? Someone mentioned Radio 4 to me, is that someone I should check out? What are your opinions on this whole thing?

Questions, Questions, Questions, and no answers!

Aug 21, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 2
Radio 4 would probably be one you're looking for. You might also want to check out Moving Units.

One band I haven't heard that has gotten good reviews is "!!!" Pretty odd name, they're music is also kinda political, depending on whether that's your cup of tea or not. Here's an excerpt from one critic's review:

"!!! could be lumped in with the other new wave dance-punk revivalists like the Rapture or Radio 4. That would be easy enough, as they all share an allegiance to the punky funk sounds of the '80s as pioneered by groups like Gang of Four, the Pop Group, Talking Heads, and others. Rather than merely lumping them in, maybe one could say they are leading the pack. Louden Up Now is easily the best record to come out of the movement"

If you're looking for something very abrasive and old school, check out early Public Image Ltd. Radio 4 actually got their name from a Public Image Ltd. song. Other older bands to a lesser extent might include A Certain Ratio and Gang of Four.

This post-punk meets disco/dance seems to be the current trend in indie rock, so you might also want to check out some independent labels based in the NY or the LA area.

One site I recommend if you're looking for a quick (and legal) preview of a band is http://www.epitonic.com . The MP3s there are only 128 kps, but they are full songs and it's fast and easy and there's no registration required (last time I checked).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back