to official thread

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 33
Comment on the bass :deadhorse:

:beyersmile: just joking, but not really :beyersmile:

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 33
Comment on the bass :deadhorse:

:beyersmile: just joking, but not really :beyersmile:
I'm not doing it till it burns in! This is what people are after but it would not be right or accurate to rate it right now.
..... OK so i will say this: Out of the box very first play of Billie Eilish "When the Party's over" makes it very clear that they have not lost their bass presence outright, and kick the pants off the HD800 for bass even without stretching out its wings.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 33
I'm not doing it till it burns in! This is what people are after but it would not be right or accurate to rate it right now.
I guess I can understand that, but somebody else will comment on it soon enough. Might as well be the first? 👿

Part of me wants to buy the Expanse to directly compare with my Stealths, but I’m gonna wait for more impressions. The last time I bought some headphones on day 1 was the Elites, which disappointed me. 🤷‍♂️

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 33
I guess I can understand that, but somebody else will comment on it soon enough. Might as well be the first? 👿

Part of me wants to buy the Expanse to directly compare with my Stealths, but I’m gonna wait for more impressions. The last time I bought some headphones on day 1 was the Elites, which disappointed me. 🤷‍♂️
You do realize he used the HD800 as some kind of barometer.

PASS.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 33
You do realize he used the HD800 as some kind of barometer.

PASS.
I compare these as the old guard TOTL once upon a time and I find it particularly bad on bass presentation. This was one line that Expanse had to far surpass in my ears for any chance at rushing to the top and it does, even without burn in, so I’m pleased.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 33
I compare these as the old guard TOTL once upon a time and I find it particularly bad on bass presentation. This was one line that Expanse had to far surpass in my ears for any chance at rushing to the top and it does, even without burn in, so I’m pleased.
Sure. HD800 is a exceptional dynamic driver with just adequate bass.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 33
Is there anyway to test these out in San Diego? I don’t see any stores that carry DCA products even though they are made here. Only other option is to try to CanJam this weekend.

I’ve been interested in the Meze Elite but these might be the better choice especially since it seems these block a lot of incoming noise. Currently have the Focal Utopia and just need something to block income noise. Not that important to block leakage since just using at home.

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 33
Is there anyway to test these out in San Diego? I don’t see any stores that carry DCA products even though they are made here. Only other option is to try to CanJam this weekend.

I’ve been interested in the Meze Elite but these might be the better choice especially since it seems these block a lot of incoming noise. Currently have the Focal Utopia and just need something to block income noise. Not that important to block leakage since just using at home.
TSAV up in Terrance CA is going to be closest for hands on outside of Can Jam. Weird setup but it is what it is.

I gave meze elite a real shot, and it is a MUCH warmer yet less overall even headphone. If you plan to run off of lower power or less discriminating chain and you want your cans to play nice with more tracks, Meze is your ticket.

If you want the overall more resolving, more accurate,true to live sounding cans that will turn the spotlight on, revealing your music fully (warts and all), with a powerful and revealing chain, DCA is your ticket.

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 33
TSAV up in Terrance CA is going to be closest for hands on outside of Can Jam. Weird setup but it is what it is.

I gave meze elite a real shot, and it is a MUCH warmer yet less overall even headphone. If you plan to run off of lower power or less discriminating chain and you want your cans to play nice with more tracks, Meze is your ticket.

If you want the overall more resolving, more accurate,true to live sounding cans that will turn the spotlight on, revealing your music fully (warts and all), with a powerful and revealing chain, DCA is your ticket.
Strange that there’s nothing within San Diego. Think there needs to be a pop up shop. I’d be running it off a Naim HE. I’ve heard people had excellent results with the Stealth. I think that might give it a little less analytical, warmer sound that I like. The Focal Utopia can be very revealing and was too analytical on Hugo 2 but has a fun sound on the Naim HE. So sort of looking for nice middle ground.

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 33
Strange that there’s nothing within San Diego. Think there needs to be a pop up shop. I’d be running it off a Naim HE. I’ve heard people had excellent results with the Stealth. I think that might give it a little less analytical, warmer sound that I like. The Focal Utopia can be very revealing and was too analytical on Hugo 2 but has a fun sound on the Naim HE. So sort of looking for nice middle ground.
When given similar power and build quality between two possible chain alternatives, I agree that DCA products will highly benefit from the Warmer/less analytical option without exception.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 33
When given similar power and build quality between two possible chain alternatives, I agree that DCA products will highly benefit from the Warmer/less analytical option without exception.
Well I went and ordered a pair thru headphones.com. They have free overnight shipping and 365 day return policy. Figure if I like it better than the Focal Utopia, I’ll put those up for sale. I just got a job promotion, so this is my gift to myself. I’ll post some impressions tomorrow night.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 33
Well I went and ordered a pair thru headphones.com. They have free overnight shipping and 365 day return policy. Figure if I like it better than the Focal Utopia, I’ll put those up for sale. I just got a job promotion, so this is my gift to myself. I’ll post some impressions tomorrow night.
You will know immediately once you try both. Utopia will need a new name😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back