Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Closed thread
Nov 17, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #46 of 89
Hmm, aren't Drop products kind of... not the same? I'm still not sure I entirely understand what Drop does.
In some cases Drop products are different and in others they are simply rebadged, if that. DCA seems to more or less fall into that latter category.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #49 of 89
In some cases Drop products are different and in others they are simply rebadged, if that. DCA seems to more or less fall into that latter category.
Ah okay, interesting. Thanks.
It's double sided tape. They can be removed a couple of times and stick back on if you're careful or you can replace them.
Oh wait, they are replaceable? If they aren't, then they're a no-go for me.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #50 of 89

Yes, they are replaceable. I can't think of any headphones that would be routinely discussed on this forum (I say this not to sound smug but solely as a general reference) that don't have replaceable pads.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #51 of 89
Quite good. No measurements or anything, but they're among the best I've got. Better than Argons, Meze 99 Neo.
I agree, an in my opinion, it’s all thanks to the pad foam and material. My wife literally waves at me (think jumping jacks style) to get my attention. also have the 99s and a pair of Senny 598CS closed, and neither have the isolation that the RTs do.

I too am still very interested in these cans, and I’ve had them for a while! I did score a mint pair of Aeon 2 Opens, and the RT definitely hold their own. These are GREAT!

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #52 of 89
Nov 17, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #53 of 89

Pads are replaceable. If they do get squished around, Dan has a video on how to fix that. I got a used pair of Aeon 2 Opens and ordered pads at the same time, replacement was no fuss, no muss. It’s 3M VHB adhesive, and as previously stated, re-usable (just wet it a bit, IIRC).

Regarding comparisons, I find the RT closed not quite as detailed as the Aeon 2 open, but for my old ears, it’s a near thing. Bang for buck-wise, these are very very high on the value scale.

APOLOGIES! Should have answered all the ?s in a single post. <headdesk>

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #54 of 89
I just wanted to give a shoutout to audiophileninja.com (https://www.audiophileninja.com/product-category/headphone/). I ordered a balanced cable for my Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon X closed headphones. I placed the order on Nov. 11, 2021 and received the cable midday on Nov. 19, 2021. It is a braided cover very heavy cable with a great yoke, 2 hirose connectors (obviously) and a gold-plated 2.5 TRRS balanced connector. Great cable at a price well below the insane "exotic metal" cables (Mood Audio or the DCA Vivo cable) and less even than DCA's own balanced XLC cable. I am not a believer in exotic cables. We just need low enough resistance, resistance to interference and good mechanical properties for the connectors and the cable. Don't want to rouse controversy: the Audiophile Ninja cable is solid.

I am using it with the much loved Qudelix 5K. This DAC/Amp worked with a single-ended connection to the Aeon X closed headphones, but sometimes I was up to 6dB and 1.995V--or as high as a single ended connection would go. To be fair, this was rare and only for some older recordings that were very quiet. More typically, single-ended ran between 3.5 and 4.5 dB or around 1.6 to 1.75V--which was not blaring but comfortable. I did feel like this lacked some punch. With a single-ended connection, I could use the Qudelix as more of a DAC and run the output through an old FiiO Montblanc amp capable of 850 mW of output. Now that was punch, but the stack was a bit awkward.

With this new double-ended cable, I am running the Qudelix at -0.5 to 0.5 dB=1.888 to 2.119V for a modern, loud-ish recording. It feels louder and all the punch I could want is there. The headroom is 6.5 to 5.5 dB (doubling output, which would be deafening) and a full 2V. And of course, the neglected FiiO goes back in the drawer. A very good unit, but not needed for the DCA Aeon X Closed at this point.

I run Oratory 1990's EQ settings rather than AutoEQ. Oratory1990 provides some judgment-based tuning rather than pure algorithmic calculation of an inverse EQ adjustment to hit the Harman 2018 target. He usually provides a bass and a treble shelf to make it easier to adjust bass and treble (and sometimes "air") to taste while maintaining the relationships of the other adjustments. Much recommended and perfect with the Qudelix's device memory for up to 20 custom EQ presets.

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #55 of 89
I just wanted to give a shoutout to audiophileninja.com (https://www.audiophileninja.com/product-category/headphone/). I ordered a balanced cable for my Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon X closed headphones. I placed the order on Nov. 11, 2021 and received the cable midday on Nov. 19, 2021. It is a braided cover very heavy cable with a great yoke, 2 hirose connectors (obviously) and a gold-plated 2.5 TRRS balanced connector. Great cable at a price well below the insane "exotic metal" cables (Mood Audio or the DCA Vivo cable) and less even than DCA's own balanced XLC cable. I am not a believer in exotic cables. We just need low enough resistance, resistance to interference and good mechanical properties for the connectors and the cable. Don't want to rouse controversy: the Audiophile Ninja cable is solid.

I am using it with the much loved Qudelix 5K. This DAC/Amp worked with a single-ended connection to the Aeon X closed headphones, but sometimes I was up to 6dB and 1.995V--or as high as a single ended connection would go. To be fair, this was rare and only for some older recordings that were very quiet. More typically, single-ended ran between 3.5 and 4.5 dB or around 1.6 to 1.75V--which was not blaring but comfortable. I did feel like this lacked some punch. With a single-ended connection, I could use the Qudelix as more of a DAC and run the output through an old FiiO Montblanc amp capable of 850 mW of output. Now that was punch, but the stack was a bit awkward.

With this new double-ended cable, I am running the Qudelix at -0.5 to 0.5 dB=1.888 to 2.119V for a modern, loud-ish recording. It feels louder and all the punch I could want is there. The headroom is 6.5 to 5.5 dB (doubling output, which would be deafening) and a full 2V. And of course, the neglected FiiO goes back in the drawer. A very good unit, but not needed for the DCA Aeon X Closed at this point.

I run Oratory 1990's EQ settings rather than AutoEQ. Oratory1990 provides some judgment-based tuning rather than pure algorithmic calculation of an inverse EQ adjustment to hit the Harman 2018 target. He usually provides a bass and a treble shelf to make it easier to adjust bass and treble (and sometimes "air") to taste while maintaining the relationships of the other adjustments. Much recommended and perfect with the Qudelix's device memory for up to 20 custom EQ presets.

Nov 22, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #56 of 89
I also just get an Aeon RT. I power it using a Qudelix 5K using its balanced output through a Hart Audio cable. Power is largely enough even using EQ (oratory profile with -5dB preamp) to ensure a proper sound level. Depending on tracks and on the environment (+/- quiet) , power is between 0.6 and 1.2V. And the most important: the sound quality is amazing! I am extremely happy of my purchase!

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #58 of 89
I believe the new Stealth Closed Back is the best closed phone right now.
From what I’ve read, it may well be. Even Axel Grell (formerly of Sennheiser, now with Grell Audio) praised the new technology that DCA has invented for the Stealth. Apparently these new waveguide??? thingies do an amazing job of reducing the reflections in closed back cans. I’d love todemothm, but their price is a bit steep at the moment. And I really like my RT closed…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back