Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Closed thread
Apr 19, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #16 of 89
Would the fiio A3 (270 mW into 32 ohms) be a good portable amplification solution for the aeon rt closed?

May 2, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #17 of 89
I don't see one so with the publication of the review at Audio Science Review I'll start this. Positive review, says RT follows target frequency response for good sound.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-rt-review-closed-headphone.19393/

I will start one. I have owned these for about two months and I think they are the best value in audio. The bass is fantastic but not overpowering (well ...) or muddy. The treble is not missing and there are 4 filters that will attenuate for a warming ,even dark sound.

I think sound isolation is excellent in my closed pair, and soundstage and sense of space is quite wide for a closed headphone. The pads are large and comfy and space the speakers out a bit from the ears. Detail is quite good too.

The highlight of these is their rock and roll dynamics. These are not KEF crystalline needling sound, but a full, colorful, up front sound that I really enjoy.

There are a number of excellent headphones in this price range and I think the DCA Aeon RT would be as good as any of them for overall enjoyment.
I just succumbed and got the RT closed from Dc directly. They arrived earlier in the week, and have been subjected to my “bigass” playlist for just over 50 hours. Since then, I have listened to rock, pop, country, hip-hop, folk, jazz, and now have Lucie Horsch’s debut Vivaldi recorder disc on. Chain is Squeezebox server through Raspberry pi to Bifrost2, Loki (neutral) and Lyr3.

I’ve never heard as much space and soundstage in closed back headphones! These are quite neutral, which I understand is the norm for DC Audio, and I still have the 1-notch white inserts in. Comfort is also off the charts, and I get a great seal with them as well. The detail is amazing - had some Santana on a bit ago and the textures and attack/decay of his percussion section sounded live… I’m in awe.

I’m just grinning like a fool here. wow! Next are the Aeon 2 Opens - but I’m in no rush!

May 2, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #18 of 89
I just succumbed and got the RT closed from Dc directly. They arrived earlier in the week, and have been subjected to my “bigass” playlist for just over 50 hours. Since then, I have listened to rock, pop, country, hip-hop, folk, jazz, and now have Lucie Horsch’s debut Vivaldi recorder disc on. Chain is Squeezebox server through Raspberry pi to Bifrost2, Loki (neutral) and Lyr3.

I’ve never heard as much space and soundstage in closed back headphones! These are quite neutral, which I understand is the norm for DC Audio, and I still have the 1-notch white inserts in. Comfort is also off the charts, and I get a great seal with them as well. The detail is amazing - had some Santana on a bit ago and the textures and attack/decay of his percussion section sounded live… I’m in awe.

I’m just grinning like a fool here. wow! Next are the Aeon 2 Opens - but I’m in no rush!
I'm thinking of the Aeon 2 open or Noir, can't decide. Let us know what you think. No hurry!

May 2, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #19 of 89
I'm thinking of the Aeon 2 open or Noir, can't decide. Let us know what you think. No hurry!
Haven't heard the Aeon 2 Open or Noir but have the Aeon Flow Open Xs and they are spectacular! My favorite phones by far! Next on the list is some AFC Xs or RTs.

May 6, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #21 of 89

Hi. I have a Meze 99 classics that I would like to upgrade and from my impressions this DC Aeon RT is the way to go. How would you say it compares to the Sundara and the HE 4xx?

May 6, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #22 of 89
Hi. I have a Meze 99 classics that I would like to upgrade and from my impressions this DC Aeon RT is the way to go. How would you say it compares to the Sundara and the HE 4xx?
I have the 99s in the black colorway from Drop and still love them for some things. Where the RT is less of the V shaped sound and more flat, the 99s are just (to put it simply) more FUN. I do use the Schiit Loki Mini to cut the bass a bit, but I do still love them. They don’t get anywhere near the seal that the RTs do, though, and they aren’t as comfortable, but they don’tget as hot, either. I find after an hour or two of listening, I start to get a little warm in the RTs. But the sound!

I also have the 4xx and Sundara, and the Sundara are my choice for open backed cans most of the time. I have two powerful amps, one in my office, the other in my main listening area (Asgard 3 and Lyr 3, respectively),and both are beautiful with Sundara. The HE-4xx is a “jr. Sundara”, with not quite as much detail as Sundara, but I still keep them in the office because sometimes you just need opens for when the phone rings (I’ve worked from home for the better part of 20 years, so zero worries about bothering others).

In general, the RTs are my overall favourites. They are the amazing in their detail delivery, and just on the fun side of neutral. They do not have the wide soundstage of the Sundara, but they have by far the best stage of any closed back headphone I’ve ever worn. They are even a bit more detailed than Sundara, though that may be the nature of the closed design, I don’t know. Other than my getting warm in them after a while, the RT is the most comfortable headphone I’ve ever worn. The pads are just right, as Goldilocks would say, and they get a very good seal, and the headband is really comfy as well. For me, RT and Sundara are my top cans, each doing something a bit different, each in their own way. I am of the opinion that the RTs are better overall, though. Just love these things.

May 6, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #23 of 89
I know you are asking regarding the Aeon Flow Closed RT but just in case you are considering the Aeon Flow Open RT, I have the Sundaras and HE4XXs and I prefer the Aeon Flow Open Xs (same as RT) to both of those by a wide margin. The AFO Xs are my favorite phone by far. I enjoy both the Sundaras and HE4XXs don't get me wrong but the AFO Xs are special for my preferences and listening tastes.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #24 of 89
I know you are asking regarding the Aeon Flow Closed RT but just in case you are considering the Aeon Flow Open RT, I have the Sundaras and HE4XXs and I prefer the Aeon Flow Open Xs (same as RT) to both of those by a wide margin. The AFO Xs are my favorite phone by far. I enjoy both the Sundaras and HE4XXs don't get me wrong but the AFO Xs are special for my preferences and listening tastes.
I’m pretty much figuring that if I got the Aeon 2 opens that everything else would be sold soon after (except the RT closed…)…

May 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #26 of 89
I've owned version 1 and 2 (RT), v1 was good and clean sounding just had a very flat sound. DC took the feedback and retuned it to better fit the Harmon Curve with someo of his own flair. If you're into EQing you can probably get to the sound profile of the RT without a lot of hassle and that guy on Reddit (name escapes me) probably already has the EQ settings for the harmon curve on there already. All in all they are the same headphone just tuned differently.

May 25, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 89
you can probably get to the sound profile of the RT without a lot of hassle and that guy on Reddit (name escapes me) probably already has the EQ settings for the harmon curve on there already.
Oratory1990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back